Saxophone Forum

by BariSaxplyr
(35 posts)
19 years ago

Does anyone have any idea what they're talking about?

As a sax player, dealing with a lot of other musicians, through playing in groups and dealing with people in repair shops, instrument shops and through web posts, everyone has an opinion. I often ask questions out of curiosity, on different kinds of horns and hear the same facts about different horns from many different people. My thought was, is anyone willing to change their opinion on stuff anymore? People who loves CONN 10m's, seem to refuse to like anything else, and the same with selmer and keilwerth players. What do you guys think about this? If out of the blue, someone handed you the best saxophone you've ever played, do you think you would be able to appreciate it, even if its not a selmer, or conn, or what have you...? Just interested to see what people think

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by TANGO SIX ONE
    (255 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Does anyone have any idea what they're talking about?

iVE PLAYED ALL THE HORNS New and old .Ive had them all. The best ones are the one that works for you period.The best ones are the ones where you can take the colours into various sub colours.Forget the money angle without doubt a modifed 10m is the greatest of all.Selmer blanced action, silver, King s20s the one with silver crook.If your not a conn lover then you havent had it long enough.Because the object of the xcersise is to have the roundest sound possible then create all the rest your self .ie brightness, lift whatever. I discovered only on a conn can you not only emulate any one you can also be your own man. The had mk 6s they are limited and thats a fact.

Reply To Post

2. by BariSaxplyr
    (35 posts)

19 years ago

i didn't mean to get anyone so worked up. i was just interested because i hear so much about new developments in horns and thought... if they did make something so great, what are the odds it would be embraced today. So much love and care gets put into vintage horns and all, but someday, they might recreate the mark VI, or make something better. If they did, would you buy it? Honestly, would you? When you play your balanced action now, or 10m, are you even LOOKING for something new? Just a thought to lead to a discussion, not an argument.

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I don't think you'll ever see a new horn that truely competes with the vintage horns of the 1930's through the 1950's. Those horns were made with better quality metals by experienced craftsmen. To build a horn today that was the quality of the horns made back then, it would cost $20,000 easily!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

3. by kneejerk52
    (397 posts)

19 years ago

i wouldn't care if it was made from old soup cans, if it was easy to get out of it what you wanted, that's all that should matter. why should anyone care what the name is? maybe there is a confidenc problem? or as with anything else people are stubborn and want to be RIGHT.

Reply To Post

1. by BariSaxplyr
      (35 posts)

19 years ago

Exactly. But do you think people are so into mark VI's because they are selmer's? and so on? I mean, ive played soe people's selmers that were just awful, but refused to try anything new, because its a selmer. Especially Mark VI soprano's. Is it just me or are most players obsessed with the title of their horn more than the horn itself. Just out of curiousity, what is everyones opinion? How important is the name or reputation of your horns company?

Reply To Post

1. by mega band geek
        (60 posts)

19 years ago

I play a MK VI bari, but I don't play it because its a MK VI. I play it for the wonderful tone I get with it. Every single band I've been the director has commented about the wonderful tone my bari gets. I've played many many more baris that I like better than my MK VI playability wise. My bari doesn't have the best intonation, it is very fragile because it was used as a marching horn for 45 years before I got it and was horribly taken care of. I could easily trade it in for a Yamaha or Yani that playes a little better, but I won't. Why? Because the other horns may be just a little better than mine playability wise, but they can't match the tone quality, so I'll stick with my Selmer.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I've played many saxophones over the years other than Conn, but I love my Conns and that's what I play. That's the sound that I like. It's all a matter of preference. Different people like different things. Horns are like comfortable shoes. Once you get them broke in and the feel comfortable, you're not so quick to switch to something new! That doesn't mean I can't appreciate something else. I try to keep an open mind when trying different instruments. I look at certain features and overall quality compared to the sound quality. I collect and play mostly Conns, but I also own and play other horns as well.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by YanagisawA-901
          (312 posts)

19 years ago

i think ppl, like jim said, dont so much have the matierialistic obsession with thier horn as much as they have grown attatched, or used to their horns and arent apt to change.. i personally know a guy like ur talkn bout tho.. he has like a selmer omega.. decent horn i guess.. not in my opinion..i hate hte damn thing.. ive played it.. theres no pad under hte octave key so when u press it down ur thumb gos for ever and screws u up.. the ergonomics of the horn arent good.. there were a lot of leaks which may or may not be the horns fault.. he loves the damn horn and says my yani is a P.O.S when everything seals on that thing like a dream.. he just has in his mind that "my selmer omega is a great horn!!!" w/e.. to each his own

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

3. by mintyfreshjam
          (48 posts)

19 years ago

I agree man. People just get an attachment to their horn. Now, defending their horn to the death, is one thing, but if it's not their horn, then they need to chill and offer their opinion. Like I've said in many posts, each horn is different. A Mark VI may be different from another Mark VI. Personally, way to many discussions on this place get so heated over nothing.

Reply To Post

4. by definition
          (963 posts)

19 years ago

I pretty much can agree with most of what y'all have said. You have covered all the bases IMO. But to answer the question does anyone know what they are talking about? No. And I also hate to break it to you, but it isnt just in this part of music. Its in every aspect of our life. Its one of those things that makes the world go around.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

5. by StratmanBaze
          (61 posts)

19 years ago

My parents took me to a store so i can buy my first pro horn. They owner brought out a few tenor horns... a ref. 36, a ref. 54, and a yamaha series 62. I didn't like the ref. 36, even though it had that "selmer' name on it and the price tag was 4000 bux. I liked the Yamaha tho. It was cheaper, for 2200 bux (i think it was a bit used) and i preferred that over the ref. 36. Then came the ref. 54. I really liked that horn over everything, and i didnt know what a ref 54 really was until recently. so, i went from selmer to yamaha to selmer. Name or price tag shouldnt matter, Although my private teacher thinks so...I feel bad for him because his mark VI doesnt impress me much. If i was to sell a sax to a young person I'd blindfold him first and then give him each sax to try out.

Reply To Post

6. by mattsmith2795
          (2 posts)

19 years ago

When you say you should blindfold a young person your exactly right! Im in my final year of high school in Australia and recently went to buy my first pro tenor sax and the guy started telling me about all the ones he showed me and then stopped and said: Ill let you make your mind up!!! It made it so much better cause I was not in anyway influenced by brand names or nothing, I played Selmers, Keilwerths, Yamahas about 10 different saxes and ended up buying a little known Australian Brand sax as it was the one I liked and I got a sound from it which I was happy with! Brand names are often so much of buying the product, when it shouldnt be if you ask me!!!

Reply To Post

7. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

While I agree that you want to buy the saxophone that feels the most comfortable to you and fits your style of playing, it's a good idea to pick a brand that is fairly well known. Rather it be Selmer, Keilwerth, Yamaha, Yanigasawa, Conn, Jupiter or any other brand, if and when you should decide to sell it, you'll get more for it usually. Also, some techs shy away from repairing brands they are not familiar with (depending on the repairs needed). The most important thing is that you are satisfied with the horn that you have and that it will take care of you as long as you take care of it! Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!