Saxophone Forum

by karebear1012
(395 posts)
19 years ago

matte finish

does the matte finish change a saxophone's tone at all?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by definition
    (963 posts)

19 years ago

Re: matte finish

The finish of a horn really does no signifigant change to the tone of a horn. But it does make them look pretty or ugly!!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by hselmer9966
      (31 posts)

19 years ago

actuallt the finish has a great deal to do w/the tonal color and the response of the saxophone, a silver or nickle finish will cause the sound waves to vibrate faster while in the sax thus causing a sound that has high partials(brightness), while a laquered sax, the sound will vibrate slower giving it a more mellow sound(darker). So yes the "color" of the sax makes a big difference. i would say that a matte finish sax would play with a warmer sound than say a brass laquered sax. so if dark is what you want than i would try some out.

Reply To Post

1. by definition
        (963 posts)

19 years ago

I agree that it does do that, but finish does not affect the sound enough so that it is even noticable to the ear of any listener, but only to the player.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by hselmer9966
          (31 posts)

19 years ago

yea it does, try bring a friend to a music store and having them sit with their back towards you, then play a silver sax and then a laquered sax with the same mpc setup and i bet you they could tell the difference. Oh and sorry to be so contradicting.

Reply To Post

2. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

There are other factors that have a much more dramatic effect on the sound than the finish, such as the mouthpiece, ligature, reed, and the type of pads used. Just about everyone uses some type of reso-pad these days, but the size of the resonators some difference, plastic vs. metal, etc. It is true that a gold or nickel plate is the brightest. A silver horn is slightly brighter than a lacquered brass horn and a matte finish (like the old Conns and Bueschers) gives it a warmer tone also. Rolled tone holes also provide a warmer sound. The resonation is best on an unlacquered horn, although in my opinion the benefits of the lacquer are more important than the slightly better resonation.

Reply To Post Yahoo!