Saxophone Forum

by Jellybean666
(31 posts)
19 years ago

Jazz inprov etc

Hi, i started playing the alto sax about 2 months ago, i already play the flute, piano and guitar, so reading music isnt a prob, and the fingering is about the same as the flute, so i've picked it up quite quickly, but im quite interested in jazz and swing, but i'm really rubbish at improv! Seriously, its awful, anyone got any tips how i could teach myself? Oh yea, and i've only ever been taught to play sheet music, so ive no idea how to even start playing by ear or even trying to remember pieces i've got the music to so i can play it off by heart. Is there anyone who can help? I dont like only being able to play from sheet music, it limits what i can play, does anyone else agree with me on that? Oh yea, and while im at it, i might as well say, this whole thing about getting grade 5 theory before taking a grade 6 practical music exam really is rubbish! Anyone agree???

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by kneejerk52
    (397 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Jazz inprov etc

listen and play along

Reply To Post

1. by Jellybean666
      (31 posts)

19 years ago

oh very clever, lol, i meant useful advice!

Reply To Post

2. by kneejerk52
    (397 posts)

19 years ago

listen and play along

Reply To Post

1. by Hexaclon
      (90 posts)

19 years ago

I have to agree with kneejerk52. I started out trying to improvise turnin' on the radio and playing along. Find the notes that "sound good", then do diferent rythms with those notes. And most importan you have too listen alot of mudic. NOT HEAR MUSIC, LISTEN TO IT.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by definition
        (963 posts)

19 years ago

Yeah, these two cats are right on. You have to listen to it, and play along. Also for your question on improv, in jazz its all built on scales, chords, appregios, etc. A few books you are gonna want to get and basicaly memorize are called "Around the Horn" by Walt Weiskoph, Abersold's Blues In all Keys, and the Charlie Parker Omni book(The jazz sax bible). Knowing the books inside and out and not being able to just play them, but play them from memory will help you immensely, as will listening to the great players, Coleman Hawkins, Stitt, Parker, Young, Coltrane, etc the list is miles long. Good Luck on your journey!!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by kneejerk52
      (397 posts)

19 years ago

didn't mean to be a smart a** it's just how i do it i started with lessons as a kid , all the scales the rubank thing, etudes, and whatever duets the teacher could handle. now i play almost all by ear, and that's how i do it. you might try to find an open mike that features horns, it will let you hear what other players do and different improv styles. have fun

Reply To Post

3. by Jazzpath
      (19 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Jazz improv etc

Try approaching learning to improvise like learning a new language. Listening and playing along are great and will work, but you may want to begin by simply trying to create short and simple melodies using a major scale, minor scale, or blues scale. Try very hard not be judgemental as you begin improvising...go for quantity, not quality. It really is the best way to tap into your creative self. Eventually quality will be there. Once you can create simple melodies (and lots of them) use a play-along and focus on playing and creating melodies in time. Keep in mind that improvisation is all about communication. Focus on improvising the same way you talk. Create questions, answers, and statements within your improvisation. Be patient, take it slow, and focus on adding STYLE to whatever you play and your improv will improve...

Reply To Post