Saxophone Forum

by mosplace
(26 posts)
19 years ago

Martin RMC Bariton, is it worth it?

Hi, I have bought a 61/62 Martin RMC Bariton Saxophone. It was recently overhault and sometimes in the past relaquered. I have paid 1500 $ for it. Was that to much? I mean this sax is great! And it plays realy great. Love that sound. Here is a picture link, so that you can see, what I´m talking about. www.simplysax.mynetcologne.de/Martin.htm Was the price ok? I couldn´t find many Martin Baris in the net. And over here in Germany you can hardly find one. What is the best set up? I have an old Conn Eagle Trademark mouthpiece and it plays very nice with it. ´The second octave sound a little thinner though. Is it because of the mpc? This is my first bari. Looking forward to your answers and tipps. Thanks

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by sax_maniac
    (984 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Martin RMC Bariton, is it worth it?

$1500 for a locally hard to find, recently overhauled, great playing bari sax whose sound you love (regardless of brand) is certainly a good deal. I didn't see any pictures with that link, though. Baris can get thin in the upper octave. Could be the mouthpiece, could be the horn, could be you. If you are new to bari, you will need to spend some time getting used to a proper embouchre. You take in a bit more mouthpiece than you are probably used to. If you can , go to a music store and try a few mouthpieces out. Also, maybe you know someone who is experienced at bari and they could spend some time with you and the horn to see if everything seems ok. That Conn Eagle mouthpiece is respectable so long as the lay is in good shape.

Reply To Post

2. by mosplace
    (26 posts)

19 years ago

Hi, thanks for the answer. Hm, that is strange. My link works. Just copy and paste it, I think that should work than. Worked at least when I did it. The mouthpiece is in great shape. A friend of mine, who refaces mpc, told me that it was manufactured by Goldbeck for Conn. Maybe he will reface it for me. But for now, it works great. Except the fact, that it is so big, that I need to find a bass sax lig for it.

Reply To Post

1. by mosplace
      (26 posts)

19 years ago

Can anybody tell me, which modern mouthpieces go best, with a The Martin Bariton? Brand and size. Thanks

Reply To Post

1. by saxismyaxe
        (575 posts)

19 years ago

I've had great luck with: Runyon Quantum Customs and Runyon Jaguar models. The Morgan Jazz and Jody Jazz mouthpieces work well with the Martin Committee Baritone horns too. I personally use the Runyon Quantum Custom in a #10 facing, which will be quite comfortable to those who normally use a 8* Otto link facing on Tenor (You might want to pick up a quality, Soprano size metal ligature for use with this mouthpiece, as the supplied Delrin ligature gives the sound more of a gutsy buzz tone than some players desire, and the metal lig will cut this down quite a bit). I recommend a #3 Vandoren ZZ or La Vos med or equivilent strength reed and no greater for this tip opening/facing size. Go without the spoiler inserts on the Runyon and JJ pieces.

Reply To Post