Saxophone Forum

by texican
(5 posts)
19 years ago

Need some help identifying a sax

Well I am trying to do some research for my girlfriend's Dad. He has a sax he got when he was a kid. The receipt (still has everything) is dated from 1968. The sax is a Jean Cartier Made in France Alto Sax. Any ideas of these? He is not looking to sell it, just wanted to know if holding onto it all these years is paying off or not. I found some "stencils" with this name included in the description, but I am unfamiliar with what a "stencil" is. Thanks for any help.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxismyaxe
    (575 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Need some help identifying a sax

Jean Cartier model horns are stencils made by DOLNET of Paris, a small, French hornmaking firm no longer in existance, but coparable to SML, Selmer, Buffet etc. The most notable performer who used a Dolnet model Tenor was Don Byas, and for a very brief time period, Lestor Young. Stencils are horns made by one firm, to be engraved with the name or "Stenciled" and sold by another company, such as another instrument maker, a music store, department store etc. In general, many European Stenciled horns are made to the same exacting standards and materials as the original models the stenciled horns are copied from. Amercian made Stencils can very quite a bit from first rate, to substantially lesser quality copies. Dolnets from the 40s and 50s are considered quite good, hand made horns. Towards the end of the 60s, the quality began to drop, but it should still be a nice, good playing horn.

Reply To Post

1. by saxismyaxe
      (575 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Need some help identifying a sax

"but coparable to SML, Selmer, Buffet etc. " That should read "Comparable".

Reply To Post