Saxophone Forum

by TANGO SIX ONE
(255 posts)
19 years ago

COULD YOU BE A KNIGHTS TEMPLAR OF SAXOPHONE

THE SAXOPHONE KNIGHTS TEMPLAR The joy of playing the instrument is the key. It should be of no consequence to the individual, playing on ones own or in a combo situation. The Quartet situation is excellent The quintet still great but hints of an arrangement here even in its crudest form. . Anything above five has to have some albeit small arrangement, in so doing MAY start to diminish creativity.. The Knights of the saxophone play two main kinds of music.1. Bebop, Hard bop and derivatives. 2.Rhythm and Blues. That is proper Blues from early 50s origin and derivatives. The Knights life is devoted to these styles and development. In the Blues contest The Knights Templar prefer Quartet or Quintet, Guitar, Hammond, or both. The Knights Templar order is also extended to the post Bop players because they are committed.On a Crusade. Although his or her life is dedicated to this type of music the Knights Templar will love classical music, may never play it, but will dig everyone from Mozart and Beethoven to Debussey and sravinsky. The Knights of the Saxophone will play predominantly play ONE of the Saxes although plays them all. The Knights will use these makes: Vintage Conn, Vintage Martin, Vintage King, S 20 silver crook one, silver sonic. Busher 400, Vintage Selmer, New or vintage Keilworth the top one either nickel silver or bronze body with silver bell solid silver crook helps, either crook number 2 or 4 not number six. The Knights may only use a Yanigasawa, top one, and Yamaha custom or new selmer if they are an elder state person, that is a senior citizen. This is due to ease of handling .The knights do not do cheesy restaurant gigs, they do not do requests, and they do their own thing or nothing at all. However if they come across a jam session of quality and by that I mean the rhythm section then they are compelled to try and get a blow to take on all comers whatever the level of the players. The challenge is always taken particularly if the others could be much better players. Above all the knights should always play as if it’s the last gig they are ever going to do. There should be no Quarter. Only ever hold a little in reserve to utilise on the cutting session Lastly never ever make a CD with a compromise that is a funk type number thrown in or mixed in. Who ever does this irrespective of their musical ability has lost the plot. Hasn’t grasped what it’s all about and will have the intellect of a Donkey. So any one out in cyber space, who are tireless campaigners for the above and thinks they are possible Knights Templars post a reply. As one Knights Templar, once said: “Hipness isn’t a state of mind it’s a fact of life”.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by tsax_player
    (76 posts)

19 years ago

Re: COULD YOU BE A KNIGHTS TEMPLAR OF SAXOPHONE

Hey man I think we all love that stuff. But limiting yourself to just that for the sake of a title seems to go against the evolution of jazz. As jazz musicians we need to forge ahead into unbroken ground. Is it important to know the styles you listed? Absolutely, I find it crucial as a teacher and a player to always have roots in those styles as your foundation of playing. If musicians throughout history held your same view we would still be in the Baroque Era. I have nothing against this era but am very glad we are not there. And I am assuming you have never recieved your undergrad degree because no one who is going to be a player, I will say it again no one who is going to be a player can get through their undergrad without cheesy restaurant gigs. God bless them because they are putting me through college to further my craft and further my creativity, and as result further the art form, and KEEP IT PROGRESSING! P.S it is spelled Buescher, not Busher good luck with your search your highness!

Reply To Post

2. by Saxman2200
    (64 posts)

19 years ago

dude, you really need to chill out. Those of us who really play cause we love to play don't need to make rules. We will play any horn that sounds good, with as many people as we see fit, we will play any music we like and yeah, mabey we will make a buck or two doing it, after all isn't that what most people spend the first 20 years of their life getting at, a job they love? Who cares about whether you are playing "your own thing" or something thats been recorded before as long as you make it your own. Taking requests should't be frowned upon, hey, whatever makes the crowd yours is okay. And as for your quote “Hipness isn’t a state of mind it’s a fact of life” you guys should be beat to a pulp with a spoon (vintage or not vintage, I really don't care). Your giving true hippies like me a bad name, you sound more like communists. So why don't you take you four companions (or three so you don't "limit your creativity") and get offa my propotay (message board).

Reply To Post

1. by martysax
      (148 posts)

19 years ago

Whoa! I just knocked the bong over! Sorry Dude.

Reply To Post

1. by sax_maniac
        (984 posts)

19 years ago

It's bad enough to discuss the mechanically excruciating and artistically vast world of saxophones on an internet discussion board. This just looks like someone needs an adjustment to their OCD mediaction.

Reply To Post

1. by sax_maniac
          (984 posts)

19 years ago

... medication.

Reply To Post

2. by TANGO SIX ONE
        (255 posts)

19 years ago

I continue to search for the Knights Templer

Reply To Post

2. by kneejerk52
      (397 posts)

19 years ago

you could be a writer, not a sax player or templar knight, whatever you think that is

Reply To Post

1. by TANGO SIX ONE
        (255 posts)

19 years ago

THERE IS THAT POSSIBILITY YOU ARE CORRECT I MAY BE A WRITER AS WELL AND MAY OR MAY NOT PLAY JAZZ AND WRITE AT THE HIGHEST LEVELS THE KNIGHTS LEAVE IT FOR YOU TO DECIDE THANKS FOR YOUR INTEREST

Reply To Post

2. by martysax
        (148 posts)

19 years ago

"Gailey bedight, a gallant Knight in sunshine and in shadow, travelled along, singing a song, in search of Eldorado..."

Reply To Post

1. by TANGO SIX ONE
          (255 posts)

19 years ago

NOW THATS COOL . BRILLIANT THATS WHAT I LIKE TO HEAR.THE SEARCH CONTINUES

Reply To Post

2. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

One thing life has taught me about music is that you need to be versatile and change with the times. You can't limit yourself to just one style. You can't just play what you want to play, you have to play to your crowd. If you're playing for yourselves and not for your audience, you're going to have a lonely, very unsuccessful music career. I have played music that I am sick to death of! Songs that I never want to play again, but I do because rather I care to play it or not, people still want to hear it, and those are the people paying to hear me play! I do my best to please them. I love to play bebop and blues; probably my favorite music to play. I also like to play funk, jazz, and old time 50's and 60's rock and roll. I especially like music that is a challenge to play. That's probably the biggest thing I have against country; it's too simple, and boring. It's red-neck music that lacks sophistication. Still every once in a while, I enjoy simplicity. Music is clearly an expression of emotion, and your personality is shown in every note that you play. While it's good to take your music seriously and to always try to play your best, playing should be fun. I would rather listen to a fair player who is enthusiastic and enjoys playing that a very good player who could care less. While I can appreciate your love for blues and bebop, vintage saxophones and your want to sound your very best, I suggest that you loosen up your shirt, relax and have some fun!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by kneejerk52
            (397 posts)

19 years ago

jim you are way to kind, you remind me of my old childhood sax teacher. God bless you and i hope he listens.

Reply To Post

2. by TANGO SIX ONE
            (255 posts)

19 years ago

THE SEARCH CONTINUES FOR THE KNIGHTS TEMPLER

Reply To Post

3. by connsaxman_jim
            (2336 posts)

19 years ago

TANGO SIX ONE, One of my very good friends just got her masters degree in psychology if you would like to set up an appointment. You're not dangerous are you? Any suicidal/homicidal tendancies?

Reply To Post Yahoo!

4. by martysax
            (148 posts)

19 years ago

Wasn't Simon Templer "The Saint?"

Reply To Post

5. by troymcclure
            (10 posts)

19 years ago

So the Knights Templar don't play free jazz??? Count me out!

Reply To Post

6. by tsax_player
            (76 posts)

19 years ago

Hey man I think we all love that stuff. But limiting yourself to just that for the sake of a title seems to go against the evolution of jazz. As jazz musicians we need to forge ahead into unbroken ground. Is it important to know the styles you listed? Absolutely, I find it crucial as a teacher and a player to always have roots in those styles as your foundation of playing. If musicians throughout history held your same view we would still be in the Baroque Era. I have nothing against this era but am very glad we are not there. And I am assuming you have never recieved your undergrad degree because no one who is going to be a player, I will say it again no one who is going to be a player can get through their undergrad without cheesy restaurant gigs. God bless them because they are putting me through college to further my craft and further my creativity, and as result further the art form, and KEEP IT PROGRESSING! P.S it is spelled Buescher, not Busher good luck with your search your highness!

Reply To Post

7. by TANGO SIX ONE
            (255 posts)

19 years ago

the knights templar are in TARDIS all hard bop and bejond. TIME AND RELATIVE DIMENTION IN SPACE The knights have spent many years exploring music too its highest orders.The knights have played with the finest in all quarters including long periods exploring free only to dismiss itafter many years.Thanks for your interest The knights have enjoyed the exchange.BIRD LIVES

Reply To Post

8. by TANGO SIX ONE
            (255 posts)

19 years ago

CORRECT EXCELLENT DEDUCTION.THE KNIGHTS TEMPLAR THE SEARCH CONTINUES

Reply To Post

9. by TANGO SIX ONE
            (255 posts)

19 years ago

YES THE SAINT LIVES

Reply To Post

10. by TANGO SIX ONE
            (255 posts)

19 years ago

HA HA, NICE ONE THE SEARCH CONTINUES FOR TH kNIGHTS TEMPLER OF THE SAXOPHONE

Reply To Post

11. by TANGO SIX ONE
            (255 posts)

19 years ago

HA HA, NICE ONE THE SEARCH CONTINUES FOR TH kNIGHTS TEMPLER OF THE SAXOPHONE

Reply To Post

12. by kneejerk52
            (397 posts)

19 years ago

i hope you are very young and have nothing better to do than spew dribble. i hope your playing has more meaningful substance than your boring repetious writing. give it up

Reply To Post

13. by TANGO SIX ONE
            (255 posts)

19 years ago

THE KNIGHTS RECOGNISE LACK OF INTELLECT.HAPPINESS IS THE MEANING OF LIFE THE WHOLE AIM AND END OF HUMAN EXISTANCE. THE JAZZ PLAYERS HAVE ALWAYS HAD INTELLECT SO WE CAN ONLY ASSUME YOU DONT PLAY AND HAVE NOT PAID YOUR DUES.THE KNIGHTS HAVE AND CONTINUE TO PLAY AT TOP LEVEL AND TOUR WORLD WIDE.THE KNIGHTS DONT LOWER THEMSELVES TO YOUR THINKING BUT WE UNDERSTAND EVERYONE HAS AN OPINION.SADLY YOUR EGO SHOWS YOU GET A KICK OUT OF BAD MANNERS WITH NO CONSTRUCTION AND OR PROOF STATEMENTS.YOUR RESPONSE IS PRIDICTABLE(.BIRD lIVES )

Reply To Post

14. by TANGO SIX ONE
            (255 posts)

19 years ago

NICE RESPONCE LIKE IT CONN SAXOPHONES THE KNIGHTS BELIEVE ARE THE BEST (BIRD lIVES)

Reply To Post

15. by connsaxman_jim
            (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Well I would agree with the Knights on that one. Conn saxophones ARE the best! Without a doubt! And I will blow any Selmer snob right off the God damn stage!

Reply To Post Yahoo!