Saxophone Forum

by RonyG
(4 posts)
19 years ago

Anyone played one of these xaphoon's

Just curious, I came across this site, www.xaphoon.com And was wondering if anyone every played one of these? If you have a DLS connection the video of how he makes them is pretty neat. He says they sound like a sax, but to me it sounds like more of a clarinet. If anyone is interested, they are on eBay for around $45-$50.00

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Mark6Bari
    (2 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Anyone played one of these xaphoon's

I bought one from Lark in the Morning and really wanted to like it. Unfortunately, it's a bitch to play. Takes an awful lot of wind to get anything worthwhile out of it. (And I've been playing a Selmer Mark VI Bari for over 20 years.) I've tried everything from my standard Rico 3 down to a Rico 1-1/2 and still can't get a great sound from it. That, and the fingering, while pretty straightforward and recorder-esque, is really awkward. I have fairly large hands and the span between some of the keys is just painful for long periods. They do have a new plastic (bakelite?) version out that's supposed to take care of the inconsistencies in the mouthpiece region and make for a more universal fingering. Maybe this version will have had the kinks worked out. All in all, I made a much better buy with my $125 Native American flute made by Kai Mayberger from Vermont. Now that's a sweet sound.

Reply To Post

2. by tenor562
    (297 posts)

19 years ago

I've never played one, but I did see one in an instrument museum at my summer music camp. It was one of the real, xaphoons, the ones that go for 300 dollars. The man in charge of the museum played it, and it did have a sax like sound, but was more difficult to play, according to him. It sounded more like a sax in my opinion.

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

19 years ago

It sounds like a cross between a sax and an oboe to me. I listened to the sound clips on the site. It kinda looks like a recorder with a sax reed. Looks like it plays like a recorder; same fingerings. I might buy one just to check it out.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by saxismyaxe
        (575 posts)

19 years ago

I've played them, and several instruments that are obvious knock offs, and they are fun as a novelty, but not sophisticated enough to expect too much from them. In addition, the intonation is sketchy at best. The amount of time one would need to devote to master this instrument to get anything approaching professional quality music, would be better spent on an instrument capable and worthy of such expression. In short, if you want something to sit around on the couch and annoy your dog/cat with, this is it!

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

That's exactly what I want one for! To annoy my cat!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by saxismyaxe
          (575 posts)

19 years ago

Then Xaphoon is the answer my man! I can't guarantee great music from the thing, but I can promise that your pet will run for cover, at least after the first two toots or so.

Reply To Post

3. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Cool! Between a xaphoon, my supersoaker, and the vacuum sweeper, Maybe I can get the damn cat to stop climbing on my table and on top of my entertainment center!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

4. by FredCDobbs
          (77 posts)

19 years ago

When I practice in the winter, my cats go outside. When I practice outside in the summer, they go in. Are they trying to tell me something?

Reply To Post

5. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I have 2 cats. One is a couple years old, and as good as can be. He doesn't like loud noises and hides under my bed anytime I get out my sax, a vacuum cleaner or anything that makes noise. Whenever my nephew comes over, this cat hides and doesn't come out until the coast is clear! My nephew is one of those kids that's just loud, and bounces off the walls! My younger cat, who is only about 4 months old, likes to climb all over everything! I haven't gotten her spayed or declawed yet because she's still too little. My tenor sax is sitting in the stand. My nephew picks up the little one and puts her in the bell of the tenor and then blows the sax! (He's 9, and I've been showing him how to play) She FLEW out of the bell of the sax and it was the funniest damn thing I've ever seen! Ok, I DID yell at my nephew, but it was still funny! So, Chloe is also terrified of the sax AND the nephew Dylan! She's a HORRIBLE little cat though! She hides under my bed and attacks my feet when I'm trying to get dressed in the morning. She'll get up in my face and start smacking my nose when I'm trying to sleep, and whenever I'm reading a newspaper or anything she gets in my lap and will not leave me alone! So, I NEED a xaphoon!

Reply To Post Yahoo!