Saxophone Forum

by Stuckenthemud
(1 post)
8 years ago

Just got a new P Mauriat PMXA 67R and it seems to always play fla

I jsut got a brand new P Mauriat saxophone and I absolutely love it but I seem to be having problems with it. It always seems to be flat, i'm not sure if it is just me needing to get used to the new instrument or if there is some sort of problem. Previously I have been playing on a student instrument (Armstrong 3000) and despite that proving being hard to play in tune on, I still play more in tune on that. Obviously the P Mauriat isn't an inferior instrument. I admit that I am defenitly not a professional and still have a lot to learn on the instrument but I feel like there is something more to the instrument playing flat than my abilities.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by GFC
    (842 posts)

8 years ago

Re: Just got a new P Mauriat PMXA 67R and it seems to always play fla

I'm inclined to believe it's an issue with you adjusting to your new horn.  It's easy to habitually compensate for the quirks of one horn without realizing it until you play on another horn.  Try blowing some long tones into a tuner and see what kind of results you get.  If it's consistently flat adjust it on the cork accordingly.  Your mouthpiece should sound a G for tenor or A for alto.

Reply To Post

2. by Saxquest
    (420 posts)

8 years ago

Re: Just got a new P Mauriat PMXA 67R and it seems to always play fla

Where did you buy it from? You could take it back to the dealer and ask if they have anyone on staff who is a professional player to give it a blow to rule out any manufacturing issues or set up issues.

If its flat over the entire range of the horn then you clearly need to get the mouthpiece further on the cork or you need to firm up your embouchure and/or diaphragm support.

Cheers,
         Mark Overton

Reply To Post