Saxophone Forum

by cynot
(21 posts)
19 years ago

Need Help

Hey guys, my name's Tony. I'm 25 and I have just started getting interested in playing the saxophone. If anyone can please help out, I got a couple of newbie questions: -first of all I want to play tenor eventually. Should I start off learning on tenor or alto? I also have a used Selmer Bundy Alto sax I got from a thrift store. It needs new pads and probably some other repairs and tuning. I got it for $100 -I was wondering if I should keep it and spend the $300-$400 to repair it, or just sell it back and start off with a brand new student level tenor or alto for about $400? -If I should keep the used alto, should I buy a new mouthpiece? (the old one's got bite marks on it.) Also, how do I clean the case? It stinks and it's lined with velvet on the inside. I appreciate any help/advice you guys can give me, I'm actually going to start taking private lessons in a week. I'll keep you guys updated.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxxything78
    (14 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Need Help

... or just sell it back and start off with a brand new student level tenor or alto for about $400? I would go this route. Although you might not get much of an instrument in this price range. If you're cheap (like me), take a glance at the Bandnow instruments at WWBW (Woodwinds Brasswinds) or music123. I think they're divisions of each other. I recently bought an inexpensive soprano, and am enjoying it, and getting better everyday. Stay away from the cheap crap that's on Ebay. You might also want to check out Antigua Winds saxes. There are many rave reviews of this brand, and they have their own website (www.antiguawinds.com). Good luck, and may the sax be with you.

Reply To Post

2. by lemonhead
    (23 posts)

19 years ago

I had the same problem with a used sax. My case reeked! I left it open for a few days. Make sure the sax is out and all old reeds are out. Most of all make sure it's in a room where no one will get to it like children or dogs. Also if the room has an airfreshner it works better. You probably shouldn't spray with lysol or anything just incase.

Reply To Post

3. by attahere
    (5 posts)

19 years ago

Hi Tony, I got a like new E.M. winston 1 yr. old Alto. If your interested in it give me a call. 1201 2610085 NJ It's pretty Nice and it has good intonation. A mouthpiece strap, Lig, and a new Hardcase. You can't go wrong with this deal. Regards Dennis

Reply To Post

4. by Sax Mom
    (964 posts)

19 years ago

There is no need to learn on an alto first if you want to play the tenor. I doubt the tenor is too big for you (as it can be for some 5th grade students). I started on tenor and have never regretted it.

Reply To Post