Saxophone Forum

by cynot
(21 posts)
19 years ago

Need Help

Hey guys, my name's Tony. I'm 25 and I have just started getting interested in playing the saxophone. If anyone can please help out, I got a couple of newbie questions: -first of all I want to play tenor eventually. Should I start off learning on tenor or alto? I also have a used Selmer Bundy Alto sax I got from a thrift store. It needs new pads and probably some other repairs and tuning. I got it for $100 -I was wondering if I should keep it and spend the $300-$400 to repair it, or just sell it back and start off with a brand new student level tenor or alto for about $400? -If I should keep the used alto, should I buy a new mouthpiece? (the old one's got bite marks on it.) Also, how do I clean the case? It stinks and it's lined with velvet on the inside. I appreciate any help/advice you guys can give me, I'm actually going to start taking private lessons in a week. I'll keep you guys updated.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by jazaddict
    (41 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Need Help

Hi Tony, Well...lotta stuff to cover. Should you start on Alto or Tenor? I'd say its up to you. Alto might be a little easier as it requires a little less wind, and you already have one. Bundy's are pretty good horns, but you're not likely to get your money out of the repairs if you decide to upgrade one day. ie: $400-$500 in the Bundy, you might get $250 out (total guess....so many variables) comapred to $400 into a "new" student level that you care for meticulously and could maybe sell for $300 down the line. (and the case doesn't stink, and it "plays" like a new, properly setup, horn....much less hassle) Tough call...depends on brand, condition, luck of the marketplace. In any case you DEFINETLY want to start lessons on a horn that plays easily and is in good repair. Tooth marks on the mouthpiece is nothing more than annoying. If it bugs you, buy a new one. Selmer C* is one choice. Good luck.

Reply To Post

1. by cynot
      (21 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks alot for the advice Jazaddict. So you're saying I should try and sell the Bundy II I got for $100 and just start with a brand new Student sax for about $400-$500? If so, what are good horns in that range? The only one I know of is the BandNow Horns.

Reply To Post

1. by jazaddict
        (41 posts)

19 years ago

Well....Ok, yes. I guess thats what I'd do. :-) Its so subjective; you'll get as many varying opinions as you do responses. That having been said; to start lessons on a horn in good repair, that you like, that doesn't smell funny, that doesn't have a toothmarked mouthpiece that annoys me would help ME enjoy practicing more. Practice is paramount. I read a glowing review of BandNow here recently, I purchased an Antigua Winds Soprano that I really like. Check out Kessler music; call them, talk to Dave. Granted he's a salesman, but he's nice, informative, and I found his info on the Antigua Soprano to be spot-on. Best to play a horn if you can. Better yet, play 2 or 3 in immediate succession. Get the one you REALLY like. Best of luck. Learn all your major scales as quick as your teacher lets you.

Reply To Post

2. by johnsonfromwisconsin
      (767 posts)

19 years ago

If you want to play tenor, start out on Tenor. It makes little sense to put $400 into repairing a $100 saxophone into a condition when you could have had for $450 to begin with. For a new Tenor, look at the Solist from Kesslermusic: www.kesslermusic.com/html/sax/tenor.html He's the only one I'd buy a cheap horn from.

Reply To Post

1. by jazaddict
        (41 posts)

19 years ago

Oh yah, I meant to say that as well. Since you're buyin a different horn and you wanna play tenor anyway, make it a tenor. Lemme also re-emphasize how important play-before-you-buy is.... so if you go with Kessler you've got the PERFECT excuse for VEGAS TRIP!!! WOO HOO! Have Fun.

Reply To Post

1. by cynot
          (21 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks for the replies guys... I'm still not sure what to do-my first lesson's on saturday. My teacher said he'd let me use his sax for the first couple of lessons, but I need to decide quick on what I should do... anyone heard of these saxophones: Jean Baptiste 180AL Student Alto Sax

Reply To Post

1. by jazaddict
            (41 posts)

19 years ago

I have not. I'd steer clear of saxophones and sellers that nobody has repeated positive comments on. I realize you said $400, and the Solist is over $700, but you usually get what you pay for. Best of luck.

Reply To Post

2. by connsaxman_jim
            (2336 posts)

19 years ago

If you want to play tenor, start out with a tenor. They are really easier to play than an alto. I play both. I would try to sell tha Bundy as is. Maybe list it on Ebay. As long as it's not too beat up, I'm sure you'll get your $100 out of it and then some. Bundy's are decent horns. Don't buy some cheap Chinese tenor! Shop around, check out ebay, and your local second hand stores, pawn shops, etc. Maybe you could trade the alto towards a tenor?

Reply To Post Yahoo!