Saxophone Forum

by mrd
(137 posts)
19 years ago

Conn King Tenor Sax

As I stated in my introduction, I am just going back to the sax. Can any one tell me what they think of the Conn King Tenor Sax. I am looking at one that has been overhauled and in good condition. How does it compare to the better brands and models. Thank you

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Conn King Tenor Sax

Conn King? King is a seperate company not made by Conn. There are some pretty big differences between the 2 actually. Kings are great horns, especially the Zephyrs and Super 20's.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by mrd
      (137 posts)

19 years ago

You are right. It is a King model 615. That is model I am told. Can you tell me about that particular model? and thank you for your reply.

Reply To Post

1. by definition
        (963 posts)

19 years ago

That is one of Kings student model horns. They no longer make pro horns either, only student ones

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by mrd
          (137 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks for your answers. Since the King is a student model, would I be better off with a Conn 16M or keep looking. Thanks

Reply To Post

2. by definition
          (963 posts)

19 years ago

16M is also a student horn. Student horns are fine for learning on. Some of my freinds played student Yamahas from when they started ingrade school, all the way through graduate school, and did just fine.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

3. by mrd
          (137 posts)

19 years ago

What about SELMER USA TENOR. How does that compare. I have a limit to spend and am just trying to ascertain the best for the dollar. Thank you again.

Reply To Post

4. by sax_maniac
          (984 posts)

19 years ago

King 615's and 16M's may be the student horns of their time, but their basic designs weren't that far off from the more advanced models in terms of how they play or sound. Less collectable they might be, but not much less of an instrument overall. Of course, the people who have spent $3000+ on their Super 20 will say that no other horn can top it, but I've played 615's that sounded every bit as bold and powerful as the meanest 10M I've come across. The best advice for beginning players is to beware the hype.

Reply To Post

5. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Kings do sound pretty good. Even their student models. I'd take a 615 over a 16M Conn. King saxophones in general just seem to project and resonate very well. The Super 20 is probably thee best horn for Jazz. When it comes to funk, rock, blues and soul, NOTHING sounds like a 10M! NOTHING!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

6. by sax_maniac
          (984 posts)

19 years ago

Thought I should clarify (I know what I'm saying, but it reads like I'm completely out of my mind). Conn made 10M's and 16M's. King made Super 20's and 615's. They are all good as far as horns go. There's "student" horns that sound absolutely great, and there's Mark VI's out there that would be better serving their owner holding a light bulb and shade. Which brings me to another point. What "student" model was Selmer putting out during the time they were making SBA's and Mark VI's? Would you call a Mark VI without a high F# key a student model horn?

Reply To Post

7. by mrd
          (137 posts)

19 years ago

King Tenor Sax

Since we are discussing a new sax, I am now questioning the mouthpiece. I played in my teens, and I think I used a 2.5/3 reed, with a metal mouthpiece, but don't remember the type of mouthpiece nor the opening. I just remember it worked for me. My teacher must have approved. Can you lead me to the most logical choice after so many years without an instrument and starting over again. Thank you

Reply To Post