Saxophone Forum

by jbroad572
(46 posts)
19 years ago

Anyone play in church?

I used to play tenor awhile back and now have a soprano on the way. I'm hoping to touch up on my skills and get used to the soprano within the next 3-4 weeks. After that I really want to play in my church's praise and worship group. They encourage me to do it as well, saying me just get up and make some noise. Although, that's not true, because they sound remarkably good. I do always hear places where the sop would have a nice fill or accompaniment. To any of you guys who do play, what do you need to know? I imagine the scales they play in and hitting the right notes at the right time :p, but any other tips? As of right now there are 5 or 6 vocals, with one leader, drummer, bass guitar, lead guitar, keyboard, and percussion (bongos, chimes, etc...).

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by sax_braswell
    (22 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Anyone play in church?

I played in a praise band that toured many churches. We were manly a vocal band with sometimes 6 part harmony. But I found that I was called on mainly to do solos or to play the lead on a strictly instrumental piece. As always there are parts to fill once in a while, but unless you are part of a horn section, that is all there really is to do. That's why when I wasn't playing I sang. You can't really expect to have the horn in your mouth every measure of every song. That being said the music follows the rules of any secular music as far as key and scales. I hope this helps.

Reply To Post

2. by ericg2000
    (2 posts)

19 years ago

I recently made the decsion to play my alto sax at church. For some reason, all the music our music director gave me was pretty much all in the lower octaves. I dont like it at all. Im going to talk to him about it, I just havent had time yet. My question is; is majority of the alto sax music written low like that or is it just what he has given me? What kind of stuff do any of you play?

Reply To Post

1. by selmer 4evr
      (309 posts)

19 years ago

How do you know it is in the lower octave are you relying on the fact that none of it is written above the staff? If it is harmony you can easily play one octave above . I usually play everything in the second octave and when body is required I might go downstairs. I have even played in the altissimo watch it here . It also depends with what other instruments you play . The best is when you can play alongside a pipe organ.

Reply To Post

3. by musickman
    (10 posts)

19 years ago

I play a soprano sax as my primay and a tenor as a secondary in a church praise band. Dependent upon what kind of music your church plays, a Soprano does really well in most situations. It adds a lot of spiritual feeling to slow worship songs if you do it right. Only problem is that a lot of times, you will be playing in the lower registers of the instrument, especially on old hymnal songs. It's for that reaon why that i'm switching most of the older songs to my Tenor and Alto. What do you need to know to play? To be honest, when i'm up there playing, the Spirit takes over and most of the time all i'm doing is blowing the horn. If you are really into the music and the mood of the worship, your fingers will do their own thing. I find that the most difficult part is switching up when the song leader unexpectedly changes or combines songs. You don't really have a leader like you do in a marching or concert band, so you have to stay on your toes! We have a bass player, a lead guitar, and acoustic, and a piano player, and a drummer, with four female and one male vocalist. We actualy have two piano players, one for old hymnal songs and one for modern praise and worship. The people of the church really appreciate having a horn player in the band, but i'm praying for the day when we can add a trumpet and trombone to the group.

Reply To Post

4. by sax_maniac
    (984 posts)

19 years ago

I play 2-3 times a month at my church - mostly soprano or C-Melody, occasionally alto and tenor. We have a pretty lively ensemble - a fair amount of what I'd call exotic and contemporary music for being a Catholic church. My wife says we give the Baptists a run for their money. We have a choir (10-25 people depending on how bad the flu is going around), piano, organ, 1-2 synths, 1-2 drummers/percussionists, 2-3 guitars, acoustic/electric bass, 1 trumpet and 1-2 saxophones. Soprano is great if there is a fanfare or intro suitable for trumpet. It is also great to add some rich harmony at the lower end of the horn. If you are not already familiar with transposing, you might want to get used to it. Some of the music - a lot of it original - will have a Bb part included. Otherwise, you'll be spending time either playing by ear or playing off octavos or piano sheet music and you'll have to transpose on the fly, which is fairly easy to get used to from Bb to C as it's one whole step. Take some time to find your place in the group if you are given the opportunity to play. The director may want you out front as a soloist or they may just want you to fill-in and harmonize. Hopefully, you'll be asked to do both, right? Better to blend and complement the group initially before sticking your head too far out or they might decide that the sax "just isn't for them". As the ensemble at your church doesn't seem to have any lead instrument, you could be a very welcome addition. Good Luck!

Reply To Post

5. by saxitup
    (49 posts)

19 years ago

I concur with saxmaniac's response. It all "play by ear" for me. Sometimes it frustrating becuase it can be difficult to find where to fit in. I recently started playing tenor in my church's Men's Choir. I really enjoy this. Although I'm an alto player by trade I decided this was a great opportunity to dust off the tenor that I bought off of ebay a few years ago. The tenor blends in great with the male voices. I plan to buy a new alto soon and as well as a nice used soprano. One thing for sure....everyone loves the sax... and they want to hear you...don't be suprised if someone request a solo... Be prepared to be miked at all times. Good luck.

Reply To Post

1. by jbroad572
      (46 posts)

19 years ago

Yea, I can't wait. I think people will love to hear the sax, and I will love playing it as well. I do it for God though, but there's nothing wrong with enjoying the beauty coming from your gift, eh? What kind of mpc would I want? I probably wouldn't want something geared towards jazz, right? Whenever you guys play, do you mainly need to know the major and minor scales and play the notes within those scales by ear depending on the key and chord being played. Would just knowing and playing the major and minor sclaes get me started?

Reply To Post

1. by someguy
        (80 posts)

19 years ago

I have played in a full gospel church most of my life. For me I feel the sax is like an extension of your voice. If you dont have music to read I enjoy filling the gaps and addlibbing awhole lot. It really depends on you church and be sensitive to the direction/ flow of your groups worship. I have a good ear and pretty much learn the toons on a cd as my worship band would learn them. Just go with the flow and remember why you are doing it, somebody will be blessed, and not just you:)

Reply To Post

1. by someguy
          (80 posts)

19 years ago

Forgot something, for me I love something I can really belt out.(mouthpiece) Use control, but dont be scared. Why play if if no one can hear you. Dont be haugty, but be heard.

Reply To Post

2. by sax_maniac
          (984 posts)

19 years ago

I just reviewed the list for Sunday, and the processional is "Amazing Grace". I don't play tenor too often in church, but this one calls for the Jumbo Java!

Reply To Post

3. by selmer 4evr
          (309 posts)

19 years ago

Played in church all my life....... ..Get a Classical sound don't sound like most who try to imitate the jazz stars ( they sound like Kazzoos) If you can understand this learn to ""play the bore not the reed """. you want to sound like a cello or a pipe organ. also get a good cd of a classical harmonica. listen to the color,,,,, harmonious with a hint of the metallic this is the ideal sound in church. If you need to hear more email me at [email protected]

Reply To Post

4. by someguy
          (80 posts)

19 years ago

What if you dont want to sound classical because the style of music is more R & B than classical. Clean classical wont cut the mustard. I dont think theres anything that says church music cant rock.

Reply To Post

5. by selmer 4evr
          (309 posts)

19 years ago

You can always move away from classical after you can master intonation and can obtain a colored steady sound. remember the jazz guys are more trained than most people you think. For instance Marsalis used donald Sinta as a mentor when he recorded his first albums . Most church playerstry to imitate the pros but fall desperately short and they sound nasal like a Kazzoo.

Reply To Post

6. by someguy
          (80 posts)

19 years ago

I will agree with you. There is deffinitely the need to have you intonation down. I also believe there needs to be freedom in what you play. I have seen guys who are good players but once you get away from the written chart they are just about lost. I will play stuff that I could never read off a chart when I let go and allow myself to be used. When I give my talent back and dont think about whos listening, and play in worship, it is so powerful. I believe people are moved when they see your freedom as a musician, they seem to let go of there problems and really focus on why they are at church. It is our responsibility as musicians to lead the church in worship so they can recieve great things.

Reply To Post

7. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I've played in church a couple times at the old church I went to. A friend of mine convinced me to go there and WHOA, those people are a little nutty! It was one of those evangelical churches.....whatever they are. Let me just say that I was raised Methodist, which has to be the most boring of all denominations. Yes, I know, Catholic churches can be boring too, and the services are usually longer, but at least you get your exercise! These people kinda scared me, but that's one church that you have to be REALLY tired to fall asleep in, and I must say, I really did enjoy the music. My style of playing would be very out-of-place in a Methodist church.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

8. by selmer 4evr
          (309 posts)

19 years ago

More on this church stuff!!! I forgot to say that the R&B sound as well as Jazz is exactly what the congregation expects. They will also compare you to some well known artist. Satnd out show them that the Sax can sing . Or rather that it can speak this can only be accomplished with a legit sound . Get ready to be frustrated however classical sounds are not easy to nurture. I won't insult you by saying good luck rather keep at it & perservere!!!

Reply To Post

9. by selmer 4evr
          (309 posts)

19 years ago

has anyone heard " A Lutheran's guide to the orchestra " by Garrison Kheilor If you play in church it is a must hear!!!!

Reply To Post

10. by musickman
          (10 posts)

19 years ago

I agree with your assesment on how a sax is supposed to sound in church. A lot of people expect jazz, and to tell the truth, a lot of the stuff we play is black gospel, even crossing over into the N'oleans jazz sound. However, there are songs (i.e. "We will ride") that require a slow melodic response that adds emotional depth to the song.

Reply To Post

11. by musickman
          (10 posts)

19 years ago

>>>...those people are a little nutty! It was one of those evangelical churches...

Reply To Post