Saxophone Forum

by lemonhead
(23 posts)
19 years ago

Otto Link

Does anyone have any oppinions on the New York Otto Link?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by aravaioli
    (24 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Otto Link

I play an Otto Link metal new NY series #7* (with 2.5 Vandoren ZZ reeds) and it's by far the best mouthpiece I have tried. Outperforms my Otto Link STM #7 which I still like but find much less controllable (I play this with Vandoren blue box 2.5). Far outperforms also my metal Berg Larsen 105/2 SMS which I find extremely "reed picky" and not as rich in sound. Amazingly enough, the NY Otto Link performs very well also on cheap saxophones. My (now spare) student sax is as cheap as it could be and still doesn't sound so bad with it.

Reply To Post

1. by Saxman2200
      (64 posts)

19 years ago

Just know if you buy one, it will chirp and squeek like crazey. Untill you get it under control everyone will tell you to get rid of it. But no one will say anything when you are on a gig and you sound like John Coltrane. The ligature that comes with it is horrible and I would advise you to get another one ASAP (the mouthpeice is very small and most tenor ligs will not fit, I found that a clarinet rovner works great). I love my link though, and I'm very glad I stuck with it. Dont let everyone get you down, they are controllable and you will get it. But they require alot of work, and a lot of concentration (get with someone who plays on one for help with the embouchure, it's different than that of a hard rubber peice) So would I reccomend it, yes, but only for those who really want that sound, and are willing to work at it.

Reply To Post

1. by someguy
        (80 posts)

19 years ago

I have been thinking about getting a link for my alto. I use a berg 100/0 and like the low register but need help with high notes. I feel restricted almost.

Reply To Post

1. by Saxman2200
          (64 posts)

19 years ago

Do not, I repeat do not buy one for your alto, it sounds soooooooo cheasy it isn't even funny. You will end up sounding like Kenny G (NOT GOOD!!!) Sorry but they only really sound good on tenor and mabey bari, not sure about bari though, never met a bari player gutsy enough to get one. Get a meyer 5, or something of that nature, but not a link, they just don't work on the higher horns. If you ABSOLUTLY JUST HAVE TO HAVE ONE!!! get one in hard rubber, they arent too bad.

Reply To Post

2. by someguy
          (80 posts)

19 years ago

Honestly I dont care about the piece brand, I just want a great rich sound that if I want to belt out a screaming note I wont cut my tone . Please any suggestions?

Reply To Post

3. by saxman0317
          (53 posts)

19 years ago

Sorry, but i dont see what you have a problem with on the altos. I play a NY on alto, tenor, and bari; all of which with that great "jazz" sound. They all have the same quality, you just need to play around alittle more and get a different size for the alto than the rest.

Reply To Post AIM

4. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

For alto, I like the Tone Edge better. On tenor, the Otto Link Super Tone Master sounds AWESOME! That is the piece I use all the time for jazz and funk on a 1948 Conn 10M. It'll raise the roof as well as the hairs on the back of your neck! I really wouldn't recommend a metal piece for alto unless you're playing some pretty hard core jazz! They tend to be a bit too much. I think that's what Saxman was getting at with the Kenny g comment; they are very shrill. I've never tried a metal Link on baritone.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

5. by saxismyaxe
          (575 posts)

19 years ago

Although I am a firm believer in each person finding the right "Fit" for their own needs and preferences regarding equipment, I have to agree that Altos and Otto Link STM model mouthpieces (and other makes of Metal Alto pieces patterned after the STM) do not, in general, make a happy pairing. This might explain the reason you see precious few professionals playing with that combination. There are a few Metal pieces (Ponzol and Sugal to name two makers) that can work O.K. IMHO on alto, but in general, I definitely prefer and recommend hard Rubber for this horn. My two cents worth.

Reply To Post