Saxophone Forum

by Bradshawm
(1 post)
19 years ago

Are Conn C-melody's the same as a Chu Berry?

I am looking at purchasing a C Melody Sax. I have a 1920's Conn Chu Alto that I love, and was wondering if the 1920's Conn C Mel's were the same thing, only in the Key of C, or a completely different instrument? I understand that they are different in size and sound. What I am wondering is in regards to the quality of instrument, playability and intonation. I really want to hear from people who have played and owned them. I have had a lot of people give me opinions who have never played one. Thanks! Marshall

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by sax_maniac
    (984 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Are Conn C-melody's the same as a Chu Berry?

I have both horns of the same time period, and they both play wonderfully well. The trick with the C is to find a good mouthpiece match. There are modern C-Melody mouthpieces available, but I'm doing fine using large chambered alto mouthpieces. I used to use a tenor Soloist on it, but alto worked better for me. (I'm primarily an alto player, so maybe that's why). They are built very similarly, so I'd say that there's not much of a quality difference there. Anyhow, the straight necked Conns are generally the most sought after in terms of their intonation and tone. The only thing is that the long straight neck puts the horn at a slightly more forward angle than other horns. Nothing you can't get used to - it just feels a little strange at first or when you switch between horns. I don't have enough experience with the other makes of C horns to judge, but I love my Conn and others seem to prefer Conns as well.

Reply To Post

1. by mosplace
      (26 posts)

19 years ago

I love c-mels and I have a Conn Chu Berry. Great sax, realy good intonation. I have also have a lot of other c-melody saxophones from Martin, Buescher, Holten and stencils. These old fellows are mostly all pretty good. Couldn´t say, which brand I´d prefer. I love the Chu for it´s straight neck and it´s good intonation.

Reply To Post

2. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Conn made a few New wonder Series II C Melodies, which would be similar to the Chu Berry, which is also a New Wonder Series II. The most common straight neck Conn C Melodies are the New Wonder Series I models. Those made in 1922 and after have the microtuner neck. The older models had a curved neck. The intonation is best on the later straight neck horns. It's taken some time and effort to get my 1922 New Wonder Series I set up, but I am happy to say that the intonation with the new Leblanc Woodwind mouthpiece and a Rovner lig with a bass clarinet reed is as good as any alto or tenor of that era. The C Mel's are touchy, and I've found that the mouthpiece makes a world of difference!

Reply To Post Yahoo!