Saxophone Forum

by mrd
(137 posts)
19 years ago

NEED HELP ON CHOICE OF TENOR MOUTHPIECE

CAN ANYONE GIVE ME SOME QUICK ADVICE RIGHT AWAY?? THANKS GUYS. I am just starting out again after many years, and need to know what advice you guys can give me on some mouthpieces. When I played, MANY YEARS AGO, I seem to remember using a 2.5, or 3 reed, but even that I am not sure, as it might have been 3.5. I had of course, my teacher who had advised me at the time, but I don't remember what mouthpiece, although it was metal or opening I had. Here are some choices I have seen: 1) PETER PONZOL II-V-I Metal 2) Berg Larsen stainless steel Tip opening=100 (medium close). Chamber=1 (bright) Baffle=SMS 3) Vintage Selmer C Star Versatile 4) Ackerman Florida Blank Babbitt link #7 5)Selmer Metal Jazz Mouthpiece, 'G' 6)Ponzol Metal Mouthpiece Super 105

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by FreeBlowing-JazzSaxGuy
    (3 posts)

19 years ago

Re: NEED HELP ON CHOICE OF TENOR MOUTHPIECE

The Berg Larsen stainless steel is a great one. I have played it for five years. The 100 is a fairly closed tip opening, so you might "grow" out of it when you build you chops back up. The 1 chamber is good for great jazz style, and your 2 and 3 are what you typical big band players would play in the 40s. I personally do not like the selmer jazz metal, nor either of the Ponzols. I have not played the Selmer C Star, nor have I heard of the Ackerman Florida Bank Babbit Link #7. JazzSax

Reply To Post

1. by someguy
      (80 posts)

19 years ago

on this web sight there have been posts that love otto links for tenor. I will know myself in a day, I just got a link 7 metal Super tone master with vandoren zz 2.5 reeds. Good luck.

Reply To Post

2. by mrd
      (137 posts)

19 years ago

Thank you all for your advice. Another question then.. Suppose I buy a Berg Larsen. What number reed would be most suited after all these years. 2; 2.5; 3; etc. Would help a great deal as well.

Reply To Post

1. by definition
        (963 posts)

19 years ago

Start with a 2.5, and work your way up if you desire to do so. I usually play on 4s or 4.5s

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by mrd
          (137 posts)

19 years ago

Thank you Guys

Another subject. Since all my original books are gone, can you suggest a study book for me to go over notes, fingering, etc once again. I had enough years behind me, so I need a refresh so that I can practice fingering again and reading practice. Hope this is not too boring for you all. Thanks again.

Reply To Post

2. by sax_maniac
          (984 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Thank you Guys

Rubank Method - Intermediate "Blue Book" is a great start for returning players.

Reply To Post

2. by mrd
        (137 posts)

19 years ago

Another question for you. If I purchase a used metal mouthpiece, that has minor bite marks, first, how can the mouthpiece be cleaned, and can the rubber bite piece be replaced? Thank you

Reply To Post

3. by definition
        (963 posts)

19 years ago

Lukewarm water and soap, NOT hot water. And yes the bite plate can be replaces, take it to a tech with expirience doing that

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

4. by mrd
        (137 posts)

19 years ago

What about a SELMER D VINTAGE TENOR MOUTHPIECE,SCROLL SHANK

How would this compare to my previous mouthpieces above for me restarting out? I am still not sure I understand the opening differences between all the letters ("C", "D", "G") etc. Or the numbers... Could someone give me 101 lesson on this information please.. thank you again, as always.

Reply To Post

5. by mrd
        (137 posts)

19 years ago

And what about a Selmer Metal Jazz Mouthpiece, 'G' opening

What is the difference between the D above, and the G here?? I know this is basic, but playing for 10 years when I was a teenager, these never came up. I just played. Has this changed all that much in 40 years???

Reply To Post

6. by mcorrea
        (25 posts)

19 years ago

Re: And what about a Selmer Metal Jazz Mouthpiece, 'G' opening

G is a lot bigger tip opening than D. Read below for a detailed explantation... Okay MRD, here's a LONG post about mouthpiece tip openings: Different mouthpiece manufacturers use different systems to rate how open or closed the tip opening is on the mouthpiece. the bigger the number or letter, the bigger the opening. I think Selmer is the only company that uses letters instead of numbers. You definitely want to know the actual tip opening size, for example, an Otto Link tenor #7 mouthpiece measures .100 of a millimeter. But the #7 could be different for diffferent makes, i.e. a 7 for a Morgan mouthpiece is a .095, whereas a 7 for a Lamberson is a .110. So it gets confusing. The purpose of getting a bigger tip opening is that it gives you A. more volume B. more flexibility in tonal possibilities and C. more resistance so that if you blow hard, you don't overblow your notes. This is also the reason to go up in reed strengths. Conventional thinking says that bigger openings go better with softer reeds (once your embouchure can handle the bigger opening) and vice versa. But there are many, many exceptions to this rule. A great tenor player, George Garzone, used an Otto Link 10* (the star means go up half a strength, a 7* would be between a 7 and an 8) which measures at .135, and he also used really hard reeds. This is a pretty extreme setup, and I probably couldn't even make a sound on that thing but he's got so much air that he makes a beautiful, powerful sound. Then again, someone like Joe Henderson used a Selmer Soloist D (not very big...I think around .080) and medium to soft reeds. Many people think his sound didn't have a lot of volume, but in terms of tone color it's absolutely beautiful IMO, and with help from a mic, it really works for him. So in the end, it's really all about what you like. I am working with the Ralph Morgan (a master mouthpiece artisan) concept that a medium tip opening and medium strength reeds give me the greatest flexibility in my sound. Medium for tenor would be about a .100 (for jazz playing) and #3 reeds. But .100 could be huge for someone just starting out, and you don't want to have to "bite" the reed, meaning use jaw pressure to make it easier to play. what the jaw does is if A. you don't have enough air, it closes the tip for you, and B. if you don't have enough lip/face muscles, the jaw steps in and does that job, but it's gonna wreak havoc on other parts of your sound. You wanna make sure it's all lips and airstream that are producing the sound, and if you find you're having to work too hard with a setup, remember the Joe Henderson principle...no one's gonna grade you on how "difficult" your setup is, the goal is to produce a great sound. Well, that's a lot of info. i could go on and on, as there is so much one can learn about the world of mouthpieces. You might find as many of us have that finding the right sax mouthpiece is a neverending process. There are so many options, and then more options within the options, like different openings, etc., that you can search forever. The important thing is to remember that your ultimate goal is to make music, not own a cool mouthpiece (or in many cases many cool mouthpieces), the tools are just a means to an end. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

Reply To Post

7. by someguy
        (80 posts)

19 years ago

Can I just say, ... that was an awesome thred of info!!! My suspisions have come true, I dont know squat. Thanks so much:)

Reply To Post

8. by mcorrea
        (25 posts)

19 years ago

hey. no problem. I learned all this stuff on internet forums like this one. the internet has done so much to revolutionize the world of sax gear IMO. sometimes I think the reason so many greats all play Mark VIs and otto links on tenor or meyer on alto is because that was what everyone was doing, and their options were so much more limited than ours in terms of not having saxquest, ebay, etc. it's not that those were the only horns and mouthpieces worth anything, but they were the most available really top quality equipment. but, yeah, just keep reading here, saxontheweb's forum, etc., and you'll find a world of useful info.

Reply To Post

9. by mrd
        (137 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks guys. You have been very helpful and patient. I am learning from your input, and appreciate it. I will repost upon trying some things and let you know my opinion after all these years. Best to you all

Reply To Post

10. by mrd
        (137 posts)

19 years ago

Brilhart 5

Does anyone know the opening for this metal mouthpiece.. I only know it is called Brilhart 5. I have no other numbers.

Reply To Post

11. by mrd
        (137 posts)

19 years ago

Cleaning a Mouthpiece

I am buying a used mouthpiece metal. I was told by a drummer that to clean/sanitize it, he would put some salt in boling water and let the mouthpiece boil for a few minutes. He said it would not affect the finish, but would sanitize any germs with the salt. Then brush is inside and out with soap and rinse. Will this ruin the finish on a mouthpiece metal or any other comments.. Thanks

Reply To Post

12. by definition
        (963 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Cleaning a Mouthpiece

NEVER BOIL A MOUTHPIECE!!! You will more than likely ruin the whole piece. WHile it is much less likely to happen to a metal piece than a rubber piece, you will probably still ruin it. all you need to sanitize it is some LUKEWARM water and soap, an old toothbrush, and a little rubbing alcohol to treat it with when you are done scrubbing

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

13. by definition
        (963 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Cleaning a Mouthpiece

And the brilhardt 5 should measure about a .82

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

14. by mrd
        (137 posts)

19 years ago

Thank you

I appreciate your answer. I will try to clean it with the soap and water. I just felt odd using another's piece without sanitizing it in some way. I did just purchase the Brilhardt 5, so when it arrives, I will post my thoughts about it.

Reply To Post

15. by mrd
        (137 posts)

19 years ago

On cleaning

Someone else mentioned to put it in the dishwasher, and then the jewelery ultrasonic cleaner. Would this be OK?

Reply To Post

3. by Roccosm
      (113 posts)

18 years ago

I would try a Claude Lakey 6* , they are very easy to play and not a lot of money, I have 30 Mp ihave tryed, I am a MP junky, I picked the CL over all of the one's I had,,,,Otto, Ponzol, Meyer ect..try one off of woodwind&brasswind.com if You donnot like to they will take it back in 45 day's....Rocco

Reply To Post