Saxophone Forum

by baribarisaxyman
(7 posts)
19 years ago

Curved Sopranos vs. Straight Sopranos

I would just like to know the differences in sound between the two and difficulties or joys of playing one shape over the other.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by YanagisawA-901
    (312 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Curved Sopranos vs. Straight Sopranos

pitch and tonality of curved sopranos are terrible. its impossible to play a 1 octave scale in tune and with decent tone on a curved. straight sopranos in my opinion are much easier to play, handle, tune, and work with. but i personally like the kielwerth model with the bent neck.. dont know if other companies offer that but the soprano ive played had that and i liked it..

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by baribarisaxyman
      (7 posts)

19 years ago

Okay. I would also like to know what manufacturers make sopranos that actually work and sopranos I should avoid.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by syrasax
        (75 posts)

19 years ago

For what it's worth bbsaxyman . . . I'm new to the soprano but I just bought a straight Cannonball . . . comes with two necks, one curved and one straight. Plays cool, nice, I like it a lot.

Reply To Post

1. by jazaddict
          (41 posts)

19 years ago

I just got an Antigua Winds straight with 2 necks. Ditto what syrasax says: cool, nice, like it a lot. To answer your orig question...I've heard the same thing about more challenging intonation; never actually played one though. I know a repair guy in El Paso that has (had?) a curved cannonball soprano for [email protected] Tell him Bob Miner sent ya...(hope that reduces rather than increases the price !!!)

Reply To Post

2. by kesslermusic
        (8 posts)

19 years ago

The import curved sopranos typically are not all that great, at least compared to some of the straight models now available. However, if you try and Yani Curved next to a Yani straight, the only real difference is the tone that you the player hear. However, to the public, the sound is virtually the same. This is due to the fact that with a curved, you have more of the horn physically closer to your ears. Now, I recently had a Yanagisawa S901, S902, S991 (all straight) and Yanagisawa SC991 & SC992 (curved) in my store for a few pros to play. Both players noticed that when you really went to play as loud and powerful as they could on them, all of the straight models went further then the curved did. Maybe this is the reason why the other major manufacturers only do straight. Maybe not.

Reply To Post