Saxophone Forum

by sax_braswell
(22 posts)
19 years ago

Conn Rocket Elkhart??

Has anyone ever heard of the Rocket alto saxophone? Made in Elkhart. Serial number 23518. I saw it on ebay and I cannot find any info on such a beast.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by definition
    (963 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Conn Rocket Elkhart??

You might be confused with the shooting star model... Get Jim in 'ere, hes quite an expert on Conns it seems

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by Haanzig
    (19 posts)

12 years ago

I have a "Rocket" Alto serial no.21781  . I was told that it was made by Buescher who was an employee of C.G.Conn from 1875-1894 . He was a foreman for them from 1888 till he formed his own company in 1894 . However , I've come to a DEAD END re:verification of the clearly labeled "Rocket  Elkhart,Ind. " labelling . Your's is the only other mention I've found with a 5digit serial number in that range . The store I patronize told me when I brought mine in for some work , that a similar horn came in for work @ the same time mine was there , and as I recall ,when my dad bought it for me 2nd hand back in the early 70's , he called it a "Conn Rocket" I know your post was from 8yrs ago , But did you ever find out anymore about the "Rocket" ? 

Reply To Post AIM

1. by Saxquest
      (420 posts)

12 years ago

Could you post a photo of your sax here? That would give us a better understanding of exactly what you have. Thanks!

Cheers,
           Mark Overton
           www.saxquest.com

Reply To Post

1. by Haanzig
        (19 posts)

12 years ago

I'll take some photos & fwd to you as soon as I can

Reply To Post AIM

1. by Haanzig
          (19 posts)

9 years ago

Sorry.I know it's been awhile . .still have the aforementioned Rocket Alto . . will post photos soon . . .looking to swap it out for something better . . . . . . Ok , here are some pix of my Rocket Alto . . . If the info re: Beuscher being the parent co. is correct & the same serial no.'s apply, then that would date this horn @ like 1913-1914 . . . However , I've also heard that they existed in the 30's , so the 5-digit serial no. obviously doesn't follow the standard Beuscher format. Hope these pix help shed some light on this sax-anomaly. Lol . . .

Reply To Post AIM

2. by Haanzig
        (19 posts)

9 years ago

Mark . . finally got around to posting pix of the"Rocket" Alto , made in Elkhart,IND. Serial no.21781 . . let me know if you find anything out ! {scroll down in the thread} . . thnx

Reply To Post AIM