Saxophone Forum

by Augman
(29 posts)
19 years ago

Cosistency try 2

Please give any thoughts on this even if you dont know. Are new series 2 selmers really inconsistent? and does this mean that they are adjusted differently or thAT there are different sounding horns and some are better than others. I am getting ready to buy one. Do you really have to try 10 and pick the best one? Or is this just hot air?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by sax_maniac
    (984 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Cosistency try 2

It mostly has to do with how well it is set up. It is best to try two of the same horn using one mouthpiece (the one you are familiar with). Otherwise, mouthpiece variation can fool you into perceiving what are really horn differences. Two identical model horns set up the same will, theoretically, play and feel the same. But look at the hundreds and hunderds of parts on a saxophone and realize there are lots of opportunities for mechanical "anomolies" to make one horn play different from another. I've done setup ups on new pro horns and have been amazed at what gets out of the factory and past the salesman. Hopefully you are buying it from a store that knows what they are doing. Saxophones are NOT recorders.

Reply To Post

1. by sax_maniac
      (984 posts)

19 years ago

I'd advise against trying 10. If you played three and none of them had found your favor, then you may have picked the wrong store or the wrong horn.

Reply To Post

1. by Augman
        (29 posts)

19 years ago

I appreciate that idea. I was going to buy it at a guitar shop , but Maybe I will drive to LA and buy it at a place that works on horns.

Reply To Post