Saxophone Forum

by James2016
(4 posts)
8 years ago

17 year rest, now need a sax

Hi all,

I havent played for about 17 years and want to start playing again, i was looking at buying a new Yamaha alto  Yas62 or Yas62s , i know these are pro altos but would they be suitable for re-learning on ?

I want to play rock and some more modern pop music and am unsure as to wether the tone of these yas62's would be suitable either the lacquered or the silver plated.

Cheers
James  

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by GFC
    (842 posts)

8 years ago

Re: 17 year rest, now need a sax

I don't see a problem with it.  The only thing that's "too much" as far as learning on a pro horn goes is the cost for someone who isn't sure they're going to stick with it.  The YAS-62 is greaat for the styles you want to play.  The mouthpiece has at least as much influence on the tone as the horn itself.

The best way to decide between a laquer or silver plated horn is to play both in the store and decide which one you like better. 

Reply To Post

1. by James2016
      (4 posts)

8 years ago

thanks for your reply,
      Unfortunately they need to be orderd in so I can't try them , I like the look of the silver but am unsure if the sound will be desirabl. Do you think there is much difference betwen them?
      cheers
      James 

Reply To Post

1. by Saxquest
        (420 posts)

8 years ago

The difference is definitely subtle. If you're unable to find a place local that has them in stock, another option would be to call a shop with decent players on staff like Saxquest that does stock these and ask to have someone play the instruments for you over the phone. Even if it's difficult to hear the differences over the phone if you have a good player play testing the horns for you they can then talk to you about the minor differences in tone, response, attack off the reed, intonation, etc..... Best of luck.

Cheers,

Mark 

Reply To Post

2. by GFC
        (842 posts)

8 years ago

I think there's a valid theoretical argument that lacquer absorbs sound energy, but whether or not that's enough to make an audible difference seems like an unanswerable question.  If you're concerned about fine-tuning your sound to that degree, the mouthpiece ranks high above the finish on the list of things to be concerned about.

Reply To Post

1. by James2016
          (4 posts)

8 years ago

Well looks like i have not got a choice on lacquer or silver plated , because there is none available now. apparently there are some new models comming in a couple of months.

They can get a hold of a bit of an odd creation , its a YAS62SGLK it has a silver body with gold lacquer keys, what do you think about the look ?

Reply To Post

2. by GFC
          (842 posts)

8 years ago

Whatever floats yer boat.  I'm a guy who likes horns that look like brown logs.  

A couple of things occurred to me about silver finishes.  Some horns are silver plated then lacquered and others are simply silver plated.  Know which one it is for any horn you're considering.  A bare silver horn will tarnish, so if you want to keep that silver looking shiny you will have to do some maintenance.  Here's a link to one recommended set of procedures:

https://web.archive.org/web/20111228173010/http://www.cybersax.com/QA/Q&A_BareMetalSaxes.html

Lacquer over silver plate will remain shiny without all that maintenance, but it has its own issues.  If you get any scratches or chips in the lacquer they will show up worse than with lacquer over brass.  You can't do any maintenance of the silver finish in the scratches, so they will inevitably tarnish.  And if you're concerned about lacquer's possible effects on sound you will face the same issues as with any lacquered horn. 

Reply To Post

3. by Saxlover70
        (14 posts)

8 years ago

Well someone elequantely told me, well for a total noob, a student horn is good to learn on, a lot of new players who want a pro horn it's like grabbing a new driver and putting them in a formula 1 car. All the while a student horn would be like a Ford Trauris, but then again just because you got a Ford Tauris doesn't mean you can do doughnuts in the parking lot. So there's that. But obviously you got the cash to buy a few thousand dollar sax and I am sure once you got one in your hand it will probably start coming back. But me personally I bought my alto for 107 at a pawn shop a old Buescher Aristrocrat student alto. It's works for me, but then again I'm a semi-noob, I got more knowledge on saxophone now, but not a seasoned player. 

But regardless I heard the yas62's are excellent horns and well if your waning to do gigs then go for it. Really unless you just want one a good intermediate will be good too if your just wanting to play, but to each is own, just like some people that buy corvetts just to cruse down the road, doesn't mean you got to race people.

It's your choice, or even there, get some cheap alto to jam on off of amazon or do like I did and find a old alto collecting dust in a pawn shop that way you won't be out a few thousand if you decide to not play. There are tons of horns out there, and everyone has opinions of each in the end if you want it and you like how it plays in the music store, well then buy it, if you pick a instrument you love it will be hard to set it down.

Reply To Post

1. by James2016
          (4 posts)

8 years ago

I have taken the plunge on the 62 the silver with the gold keys .

I do enjoy and can appreciate good quality well made things , to many times I have bought cheaper things and haven't been overly happy with them and have had to sell or throw them away and have to shell out more money for the better one, so if I'm going to do something these days I buy the very best that I can afford or I just don't do it .

Being in Australia everything is way over priced as a well so you still have to pay good money for crap.

Also the resale seems to be a lot better on a pro horn than a student model.

I really appreciate every ones input and comments, hopefully it all comes flooding back to me when I get the 62 in my hands, i can't wait!

cheers
          James

Reply To Post