Saxophone Forum

by baribarisaxyman
(7 posts)
19 years ago

Etude and Method Books

I want the run down on method and etude books I need to be a proficient classical player. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Also, has anyone have any experience with the 27 Virtuoso Studies by Bassi?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by baribarisaxyman
    (7 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Solos and Repertoire

This is knida off topic, but solos and other repertoire I should seriously consider would also be appreciated.

Reply To Post AIM

2. by sax_maniac
    (984 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Etude and Method Books

There's quite a number. I am a big fan of the Rubank Method Blue Books and Rubank's Selected Studies for Saxophone book. The blue books are dry, but are great for technical skills. The Selected Studies book of etudes is extremely thorough in terms of style and technical challenges. And all these books are very cheap.

Reply To Post

1. by YanagisawA-901
      (312 posts)

19 years ago

ill second the rubank. they helped me excel greatly. and u subconciously learn all ur scales thru playing the etudes. ive been thru beginner intermediate and advanced since freshman year and im a junior now and the difference between now and then is amazing..

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by phathorn
        (165 posts)

19 years ago

bozza's etudes are a little meatier...Gammes and arpegges by Mule is a good one too

Reply To Post

2. by totzax
      (1 post)

17 years ago

Reply To Post

3. by Cannon
    (23 posts)

19 years ago

Klose is a very good book to teach technique.

Reply To Post

1. by SaxandSound
      (3 posts)

19 years ago

Don't forget about Ferling. Pages have a slow etude and a fast etude which lets you work on all facets of performing. Also, there is a Berbiguer book for flute that marcel mule has transcribed. I recommend the flute book because its practicaly the same but like 40 buck cheaper.

Reply To Post