Saxophone Forum

by someguy
(80 posts)
19 years ago

mouthpiece removal

This may sound dumb but I have a question. Does anyone leave there mouthpiece on there horn when done practicing? I actually have an office where I can keep my horns assembled now and always take the pieces off, what do you do?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by CajunSax
    (76 posts)

19 years ago

Re: mouthpiece removal

i like to have the neck off when i am removing or replacing the mouthpiece...heard horror stories of broken necks from the tension put on the horn. as far as leaving them assembled, your only worry would be from the elements. Even though u are indoors, there is still humidity, dust, etc that gets in there and ultimately affects the joints & pads & all that. I had my Bari assembled overnight once...sitting on the stand in a spare room. The next day i noticed a single spiderweb down the bell....i never did that again.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by SaxMan88
      (318 posts)

19 years ago

Well, I might have to be a little more careful about leaving my horns out then. I usually leave my alto (personal, might not do it anymore), tenor (school horn, who cares if it's subjected to anything *laughs*), and clarinet (personal but not mine) out for days at a time b/c I use them so much. Just a bit of a nusiance to set them up and take them down all the time. I might just suck it up from now on! Good idea?!

Reply To Post

2. by SaxMan88
      (318 posts)

19 years ago

Well, I might have to be a little more careful about leaving my horns out then. I usually leave my alto (personal, might not do it anymore), tenor (school horn, who cares if it's subjected to anything *laughs*), and clarinet (personal but not mine) out for days at a time b/c I use them so much. Just a bit of a nusiance to set them up and take them down all the time. I might just suck it up from now on! Good idea?!

Reply To Post

1. by someguy
        (80 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks for the input, speaking of horror stories, when I was in high school, late 80's I was putting a piece on and had the neck coupling come off. Fortunately it was a cheaper horn and an easy fix for the tech guy, or should I say "tech person" to be P.C. ?

Reply To Post

1. by ebert
          (18 posts)

19 years ago

There is one thing that you might consider when leaving a mouthpiece on a neck for a long time: the cork may become permanentely squished and not fit right on the mouthpiece. I have had this happen before, and as a result could not put a mouthpiece with a bigger chamber on my horn. I had to go and get a fresh cork put on the end of my neck so it would fit snugly.

Reply To Post

2. by jbroad572
          (46 posts)

19 years ago

Yea, I've left my tenor assembled for months, now I can't pull my mpc out because it has been squished. So it's extremely loose when I try to pull it out. I will more than likely be removing it once I get the neck recorked. Too bad... it's just so convenient

Reply To Post