Saxophone Forum

by Freaky McPants
(12 posts)
19 years ago

Chords

My name is Travis and I am a senior in high school and I am in Jazz band. I know very little about music theory so I have no idea what all the little numbers and letters in chords mean. For example, the chord name for the B flat blues scale is c7. What does this mean. Its like a foreign language man.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by jbroad572
    (46 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Chords

That's what music is... a language. Learn to speak it through the letters (notes) words (phrases), then sentences. I am just now learning theory myself, but I would highly recommend a book... one I'm reading right now is Music Theory made easy.... a little book but very informative. Seems to be just enough to get me in the right direction. Also may want to do some reading at www.musictheory.net.

Reply To Post

2. by BariSaxplyr
    (35 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Chords

Hey. Basically in a Bb blues for example, its based on dominant seventh chords, such as Bb7, Eb7 and F7... or for you tenor players, C7, F7, G7 type situation. A dominant, or seventh chord, is a major triad with a flat seven. so C7 would be C, E, G and Bb. Bb7 would be B, D, F Ab. A blues scale is a little different., which is used to improvise also. A C blues scale, would be C, D, Eb, E, F, F#, G, A, Bb. Its a major scale, with a few added notes, and lowered 7th. This scale would be used in a C blues to improvise (along with many other involved chord scales, but this is a good one to start with.) You'll notice a lot some of the notes sound bad or plain, like the F, while the Eb and F# have much more character. I hope this helped, i might have went a little overboard. Anymore questions, feel free to ask. I study this stuff at the Berklee College Music, and have an extensive knowledge of various scales and such. Hope it helped.

Reply To Post