Saxophone Forum

by YanagisawA-901
(312 posts)
19 years ago

Chap Stick??

i was just kinda curious.. i had a concert yesterday and i was messn round with my horn makin sure everything was workn rite.. gettn rid of sticky pads and what not and the thought crossed my mind.. can chapstick replace cork grease if needs be? also, does anyone know any sticky pad CURES.. not quick fixes like the dollar trick or the valve oil thing wich sucks cuz the junk gunks up after a week or so.. my pads have a natural "stick" to them .. like u can hear it.. instead of a soft thud.. its like.. a unsticking and sticking sound.. i guess it may be because its a fairly new sax.. barely a year old.. does it maybe just need to be played hard and ruffed up a bit??

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by definition
    (963 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Chap Stick??

Yes, chap stick works great, I had a prof in college who used it OVER cork grease. AS for your sticky pads, get some of charlie A's gig dust and a few of his crud patches. Order off his site, www.gigdust.com

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by TrentG
      (15 posts)

19 years ago

this is sort of off topic, but what about putting cork grease/chap stick on your neck? (on the sax.) :)~

Reply To Post

1. by chiamac
        (586 posts)

19 years ago

"this is sort of off topic, but what about putting cork grease/chap stick on your neck? (on the sax.) :)~" not that I'm a expert or anything... but get your neck fixed if it's bad enough to need grease all the time. Something may be a little out of wack, and it's better to re-round things now than have a bent neck or broken something later. just my thoughts anyway.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by TrentG
          (15 posts)

19 years ago

its not broke it's just I seen some of my "peers" putting cork grease on their necks to let it slide in a bit easier. just wondering why you would want it to slide around real easily.

Reply To Post

2. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I often put cork grease on the neck of my sax. I had a band director who suggested it to me. It helps the neck slide into the tenon easier and helps prevent wear to both the tenon and the neck. I doubt there is anything wrong with your neck. The tenon should be fairly tight. Just use a little cork grease and it will help. I would be carefull using chap stick. I'm sure that most are fine; probably as good if not better than cork grease, but some might tend to be sticky. Just a though. Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

3. by TrentG
          (15 posts)

19 years ago

this is off topic again, but when I wipe my neck off is that rust that comes off, or is it something nasty. if it is something nasty then don't tell me. I don't need to know that bad. I'll just keep wiping it off. :D

Reply To Post