Saxophone Forum

by kaleid
(18 posts)
19 years ago

I met Emilio Lyons

Took my old Sax into Rayburn Music in Boston yesterday (www.rayburnmusic.com/index.asp and had the fortunate opprotunity to sit down and talk with Emilio Lyons (www.dornpub.com/SaxjPDF/lyons1.pdf about my horn. He indicated that is it a quality, solid built intermediate level Yanagisawa which is definately worth overhauling, and he would do it for a mere $600.. Clearly expensive, but when you have the renowned "Sax & Clarinet Doctor", and recipient of the 2002 Downbeat Magazine Lifetime Achievement Award who is acknowledged as one of the finest woodwind repairmen in the world, You would expect to pay a bit for it. Apparently his clientele consists of many of the world's greatest players (Stan Getz, Sonny Rollins, Branford Marsalis, Michael Brecker, Phil Woods, Jackie McLean, Wayne Shorter, Kenny Garrett, Archie Shepp, Illinois Jacquet, Al Galladoro, Joe Viola, Benny Carter, Pat LaBarbara, Dave Liebman, Harold Wright, Thomas Martin, Jonathan Cohler, Richard Stolzman) Pretty exciting to happen to 'bump' into such a legend. (reposted from my other thread which is somewhat boring).

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. No replies yet. Be the first!