Saxophone Forum

by TinaK
(2 posts)
19 years ago

Yamaha 62 question

My husband just purchased a YAS-62M (matte finish) for my son when I specifically sent him to purchase a YAS-62II for him. Can someone tell me what the difference between these two instruments is - age wise and performance wise. My son likes the new horn, but I feel like we were duped somehow by the salesman into buying something that was sitting in their stockroom that they couldn't sell. My husband was told that this was the latest and greatest thing. I'm considering returning it and having my son choose something else, but would like some input first. Thanks for any help!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Yamaha 62 question

The matte finish has became very popular, as it gives the horn a more vintage appeal. This IS the latest finish option available and has not been available very long, so chances are this is a horn that the music store received recently also. It's strictly cosmetic and has very little if any effect on the sound. You've made a great choice selecting the Yamaha 62. It's a great horn which should carry your son through college. Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by TinaK
      (2 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks so much for your input! This makes me feel somewhat better about the purchase. I was just under the impression that the 62II was the latest and greatest Yamaha model and the 62 was discontinued, as stated on the Yamaha website.

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

19 years ago

The 62M is a series II actually.

Reply To Post Yahoo!