Saxophone Forum

by nectarios
(20 posts)
19 years ago

Embouchure

Hello again. I've been working on my embouchure and have been using this site (www.ryanfraser.com/lessons/start/embouchure.html , as well as my books and a DVD (for Alto, but I guess the embouchure is not that different on the tenor?) on learning how to play the horn. Every resource says the same thing, roll up your bottom lip and take 2-3 cm of mpc in. Then again I see my favourite player in this picture ( www.streamwaves.com/images/artwork/4599.jpg and his embouchure is quite different. What I've learned so far is that using some more bottom lip as a coushin I can impede the higher harmonics and play smoother. That works fine. Also, it is easier for me to get the lower notes right if I take a bit more mpc in (like John on that pic), but no where is my resources is that technique mentioned. Am I doing it the wrong way? If I don't take a bit more mpc in, I am struggling to get the lower octave for notes that are lower than D4...any tips for getting the right 8ve and not the one above it? Or should I simply not worry about it too much and let it come with time and more practise? Also, I have better tune/tone control of the 2nd octave notes if I tighten my embouchure up a bit. Is that the norm? Or does my horn need to be set up properly? Excuse my newbie questions. :-)

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by sax_maniac
    (984 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Embouchure

It takes time to develop the right embouchre - and it will change over time. There are things a seasoned player does that can not be easily described to a beginner. That is why there are student mouthpieces which are somewhat forgiving in terms of embouchre, but the basics can not be neglected in any case. Time and, more importantly, practice are what will ultimately improve your embouchre. My recommendation is that you get some private instruction to get headed in the right direction.

Reply To Post

1. by nectarios
      (20 posts)

19 years ago

I've been looking for teachers for the past two weeks and all the people I've contacted have no time for begginers, unfortunately. Looks like there are more begginers in Cambridge, UK then I thought. So, I've been using any kind of resource I can, the net (inclidung this very helpfull forum), books and learning CDs where I practise long notes and try to have a good listen to my tone and get as close to the tone on the CD as possible. I've been searching the net for pictures of players (and especially John's) were I can see close ups of their embouchure + one of his albums is on my CD player either at work or home, every single day. I am enjoying his playing a whole lot more now that I've started learning the horn...it's like I'm listening to his music for the very first time again! I was afraid the very first weeks would be very boring and would be putting me off from learning, but instead the process is already an experience I'm enjoying loads...got down some 1-2 bar verses from tunes I love, like Blue Train, Cousin Mary, My Favourite Things. Although I can only practise 1-2 hours a day, I've been very happy with the way things are going so far...I mean I just started playing, so every day I practise I notice significant improvements...I guess you can only get better when you utterly suck to start with :-)

Reply To Post

1. by troymcclure
        (10 posts)

19 years ago

Sounds like you are in the same boat as me. I just started playing sax (alto) a week ago. I can't afford private lessons so I plan to take courses at the community college since the University I attend only allows music majors into music classes. The problem is classes don't start again until August. I've already learned to play Girl from Ipanema, My Favorite Things, and part of Groovin High. I'm also working out some scales. I figure at this rate by the time August roles around I might be able to join the intermediate woodwinds class.

Reply To Post