Saxophone Forum

by karebear1012
(395 posts)
19 years ago

Auditons

this might sound like a stupid question... before auditions i'm totally calm and relaxed thinking "oh, i know the music, i'm going to do fine." , but then when i actually get in front of the judge, i get really shaky and nervous. It really affects my playing, and I've tried doing more auditions and solos to get myself used to playing in front of others, but it just doesn't seem to help. What should I do? What do you do? Thanks, Kara

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Auditons

Kara, in college I have an oral communications class right now. I've been playing saxophone for over 20 years, but when I get up in front of my class to give a speech, I get very nervous! Even when I'm doing a speech on saxophones! My instructer said that in order to overcome nervousness you need to build confidence, which you do by practicing until you are comfortable with your parts. Then visualize yourself playing your part perfectly. I know, this is easier said than done, but if you tell yourself that you CAN do it you WILL do it! Good luck! Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by karebear1012
      (395 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks Jim, I'll try that out next audition. I've been so overwhelmed lately...sports, music, auditions (one of which i totally bombed today because i got the wind knocked out of me and almosted passed out). I think my director was about to tell me not to audition ...i was in bad shape. Especially after a national french exam, lol. *snore* I'm beginning to lose total confidence in my playing partly because I'm not going to be the youngest in the school next year, so I don't really have anything to fall back on. People look at me by how long I've been playing (2 yrs), and not how much I've actually accomplished in that time. So i've been really discouraged. My director also decided to announce that i'm going to be plaing euphonium in marching band next year... I need vacation....

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Kara, It sounds like you just have way too many things going at once, my dear. I've been trying to finish my degree, work full time, and still play music at least 3 nights per week. Unfortunatley for me, the only thing I can really afford to give up right now is the music, so I haven't been playing as much lately. Maybe you need to decide which is most important to you and limit yourself to a few less things. Don't give up your music unless you absolutely have to! It's been really hard on me not playing as often as I used to! I feel like I'm losing my touch! Take care! and Take time to sleep! Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by peter090
      (155 posts)

19 years ago

One thing that contributes to the physical symptoms of nervousness is a lack of oxygen. Taking several really good deep breaths and holding for a second before letting them out will get some oxygen in you. If you concentrate on breathing it will take some strain off your brain as well. Another thing to realize is that how you deal with the stress of performance is as much a part of you as is your sense of time, pitch or anything else. As you gain experience you'll probably become more comfortable but in the meantime there is no reason to beat yourself up for getting nervous. Chalk it up to experience and pat yourself on the back for having the guts to go through with the audition.

Reply To Post

1. by karebear1012
        (395 posts)

19 years ago

yeah, I'm working on that. thanks for your help=) im trying to go through with an audition without shaking..when i shake i lose the "internal pulse", and my pitch goes who knows where... i guess that'll just take time. thanks again! ~Kara (first band rehearsal tomorrow, by the way... 2 hour car ride to get there too. i'm so excited!)

Reply To Post