Saxophone Forum

by lemonhead
(23 posts)
19 years ago

Can't find a mouthpiece

I have tried a good six or seven mouthpieces and can't find one I like. I want one that I can blow through real easily. And I want it be kind of a dark sound too.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by someguy
    (80 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Can't find a mouthpiece

Try to be alittle more discriptive. Type of horn, music you play. Your question will be answered by one of these geniousous. Not me, but them, they know who they are.

Reply To Post

1. by mcorrea
      (25 posts)

19 years ago

dark and freeblowing are two of the catch phrases used to describe Morgan mouthpieces. plus, they're relatively cheap for such a good mouthpiece ($130 or so). check www.junkdude.com for more info on those mouthpieces.

Reply To Post

1. by saxismyaxe
        (575 posts)

19 years ago

I agree with the Morgan suggestion. All models offered by Morgan are fantastic players: Easy blowing, full, dark sound, good intonation, and an equally strong low and altissimo range. Another great mouthpiece that fits the bill is the Jody Jazz HR* Vintage style mouthpiece. Superb quality and characteristics for a very reasonable price. I've also had excellent results from many of Santy Runyon's mouthpieces. If you are looking for metal, my current favorite among my vast collection (I need help) is the David A. Zagar "Cool School" Mouthpiece. Although some have compared it to a Dukoff "Hollywood" style, it very much reminds me of my vintage Otto Link "Florida Link" model, only better IMHO. All of the above mouthpieces are great value for what is a relatively low price as quality mouthpieces go, i.e. under $200.00.

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

try a Rico Royal Graftonite mouthpiece. The B3 is an easy blowing piece with a nice dark tone. They're cheap too! Under $20. I use a Rovner dark ligature with mine.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by lemonhead
          (23 posts)

19 years ago

I tried out the standard jodyjazz hardrubber mouthpiece and I like more than the one I have now but it just didn't quite cut it. I hope the one you're talking about works.

Reply To Post