Saxophone Forum

by TANGO SIX ONE
(255 posts)
19 years ago

FREE JAZZ TO BE OR NOT TO BE A CHARLATAN THIS IS THE QUESTION?

FREE JAZZ (TARDIS) When we discuss the playing of so-called FREE JAZZ the Knights Templar dismiss it TARDIS is the reason (Time And Relative Dimension In Space.) It is also the opinion of the Knights that even the freest jazz possible can not be totally free. Does the universe expand or does it not? Or is the expansion being bent from the original fall out from the Big Bang? Communication is the first port of call Once this is established then one can begin to expand. Space as the theory goes, is infinite. Objects will fuse with others at times by sheer default .In order for music to work it has to have time and relative dimension before you decide to bend it. With no start no end and infinite open space as a springboard, one is starting in the abyss. As a result rules regulations and techniques are superfluous. Without Discipline, relevant intuitive communication, and logic, there can be no freedom. Because without rationality one can not understand freedom. Therefore there has to be TARDIS. Total abstraction by definition is limited. The knights Templar conclude that free jazz is a basic form of so called music that originated when primitive Man first developed. So the players who work in these areas of music are not pushing the boundaries as they try to make people believe. The Knights Templar welcomes your views. Who knows? We of the Knights Templar are open-minded. Could our theories be challenged? (Bird lives,)

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by TANGO SIX ONE
    (255 posts)

19 years ago

Re: FREE JAZZ TO BE OR NOT TO BE A CHARLATAN THIS IS THE QUESTION?

THE KNIGHTS ARE SORRY FOR DUPLICATION AN ERROR IF POSSIBLE REPLY TO TOP ONE THANKS (BIRD lIVES)

Reply To Post

2. by EdTheGreat
    (11 posts)

19 years ago

When you do discuss the FREE JAZZ the Knights don't seem to grasp the concept of Extracting Atoms from space that which could very well disturb the space time and the universe as we know it........

Reply To Post

3. by EdTheGreat
    (11 posts)

19 years ago

....oh and tango what are you doing putting up these post and replies between 3a.m. and 4.a.m. !!!! GET SOME MORE SLEEP!!! IT WILL HELP YOU IMPROV BETTER!

Reply To Post

1. by TANGO SIX ONE
      (255 posts)

19 years ago

O Dear some one who has not thought it out very well Have you ever been a TIME LORD Work it out.

Reply To Post

4. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

TANGO.....YOU"RE AN IDIOT!!! You babble on like an old lady in a nursing home about NOTHING! Nobody gives a shit about your imaginary friends, the KNIGHTS! I really think you need to see a doctor and be put on psychiatric medication! Those voices you hear are NOT real! Put the saxophone down before you hurt someone! It'll all be ok. They'll find a nice safe padded room for you!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by TANGO SIX ONE
      (255 posts)

19 years ago

EVERY ONE HAS OPOINION SO I CAN UNDERSTAND THIS .THE KNIGHTS FEEL THAT MUSICIANS ,OR AT LEAST THE BEST ONES SHOULD ENTER INTO THE SPIRIT AND USE ALL TYPES OF FUN THINGS TO HELP TO EXPRESS THEMSELVES AND NOT TAKE THINGS TOO SERIOUSLY.MUSIC SHOULD BE FUN.MY ARTICLES ARE DESIGNED FOR DEBATE AND TO DEVELOP PEOPLES POINTS OF VIEW TO DRAW PEOPLE OUT.THERE IS A BIG MUSICAL MESSAGE BEHIND IS IF YOUR SMART ENOUGH TO WORK IT OUT.THE KNIGHTS FEELA LITTLE MORE EDUCATION IN LIFE MAY BE OF HELP TO YOU(BIRD LIVES)

Reply To Post

5. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

TANGO, are you in anyway related to The Unibomber? Just wondering

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by TANGO SIX ONE
      (255 posts)

19 years ago

HA HA The Knights do not know this term so no we are not .The knights however are into Conn saxophones in a big way so the order gives you maximum respect (BIRD LIVES)

Reply To Post

2. by martysax
      (148 posts)

19 years ago

The rest of us must be considered Infidels by the Knights. What cave in Afghanistan are the Knights playing in this week?

Reply To Post

1. by TANGO SIX ONE
        (255 posts)

19 years ago

Nice one not sure.But whatever the music DRIVES.

Reply To Post

2. by Firk
        (31 posts)

19 years ago

no disrespect to anyone(especially jim who seems to be very upset about this), but i think tango has more to offer than just bs. i don't think he's try to taught anyone or tick anyone off. it seems to me that he is trying to offer a serious discussion in a humorous manner. in this case he is trying to find peoples' opinions on free jazz and what defines it to you. in relation wondering about your views of some of life's little unanswered questions about relativity and time and space. his earlier post of restricting the knights to certain types of music and certain instruments was likewise. he's tring give inscentive to respond and contradict was he has to say, but that doesn't mean you have to get upset. so i think instead of yelling at him, maybe we should play along and express our view points in a casual manner. i maybe wrong with all of this, but that's the impression i get. reasonable thoughts anyone? ~Firk

Reply To Post

1. by saxismyaxe
          (575 posts)

19 years ago

Firk, That may be (although I don't believe it is.), however I think this character would solicit a more insightful conversation if he didn't sound like a penny arcade fortuneteller automaton! Frankly, the novelty of the little "tongue in cheek" Q & A thing played itself out after the first post.

Reply To Post

2. by TANGO SIX ONE
          (255 posts)

19 years ago

THE KNIGHTS THINK YOU VERY WISE AND RESPECT YOUR COMMENTS.

Reply To Post

3. by FredCDobbs
          (77 posts)

19 years ago

I agree with Saxismyaxe. I don't think this juvinile persona serves any purpose (other than the humor of Jim's replies!). Whatever knowledge or information the writer has is undermined by the silly costume. It may work well on a Dungeons & Dragons site, but here it tends to be just an irksome distraction.

Reply To Post

4. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

It takes a lot to upset me. I'm not upset. I just think that TANGO is an idiot looking for some attention. I have a feeling he just doesn't get enough attention. His parents probably had to smear bacon grease on him just to get the dog to play with him or something; who knows. I just like making fun of him!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

5. by mcorrea
          (25 posts)

19 years ago

I think he's just a dude witha quirky sense of humor who appreciates music discussion. Knights, I agree, nothing exists in a vacuum. Ornette's "Free Jazz" has so much blues blowing in it it's great, just gotta open your ears. same with Trane's latter period...it wasn't "Bye Bye Blackbird" but to say it came from nowhere...it also had a lot of that blues, honking, "walk the bar" feel to it. Not to mention all of the other cultures he brought into it, which definitely have form. And those patterns he would play weren't just random notes, he'd practice forever just getting the right 4 note sequences that he was hearing in his head, then put them together over blinding speeds. the reason it was "free" is because what the rhythm section was doing was so non-traditional, but that was just to loosen it up so he could superimpose his own very highly developed lines over that backdrop. "Interstellar Space" is a masterwork, IMO. "Free" I guess just means free from swing beats and bebop licks.

Reply To Post

6. by mcorrea
          (25 posts)

19 years ago

oh, and to answer the question, definitely NOT Charlatan. just different, I could see how it's not for everyone.

Reply To Post

7. by kneejerk52
          (397 posts)

19 years ago

well i don't know what free is, but if it means playing a bunch of notes of a scale within the key which have nothing to do with a melody, and you need to respect the player because he is fundimentally correct, well im not sure if i want to be free. to me you need to be CONNECTED somewhat to the music for people, not just the Knights, to be able to honestly appreciate what the hell you are doing. not sure if this is what free is, but thought it might stir the pot a bit. ha ha

Reply To Post

8. by Firk
          (31 posts)

19 years ago

lol...the last couple of posts just proved my point from earlier. sorry, just had to say that. jim, if wanna keep tearing tango apart, it ain't no skin off my bottom;) that bacon grease comment tops them all lol. have a good day:) ~Firk

Reply To Post

9. by TANGO SIX ONE
          (255 posts)

19 years ago

Great comments the Knights fully respect your views

Reply To Post

10. by TANGO SIX ONE
          (255 posts)

19 years ago

The Knights respect your views(BIRD LIVES)

Reply To Post

11. by TANGO SIX ONE
          (255 posts)

19 years ago

The knights give you maximum respect for your comments and you are very wise.You have worked out the Knights Templar more than most.It is interesting to the knightsthe reactions of some of the others.It tells its own story.Thanks for the comments

Reply To Post

12. by TANGO SIX ONE
          (255 posts)

19 years ago

You have worked the Knights out well respect( Bird Lives)

Reply To Post

13. by mcorrea
          (25 posts)

19 years ago

yeah, I don't think I expressed what I meant by "free" well.to me it's not just technically correct and impressive playing-- I DO hear a musical and emotional connection to that music when I hear it, because of the blues influence--it sounds like he's a preacher who's working up to the climax of the sermon, with shouts and hollers. and the way he balances that out with highly technical stuff is, for me, the best of both worlds, although I can't listen to it all the time. usually I want something with a little more swing in it, something that sounds happier, like Dexter Gordon or something, but sometimes I want to be freaked out, and that does it for me, because if nothing else, it's "free" from the rhythmic and harmonic "rules" that were so prevalent in the jazz before it. but like I said, I see how it's not for everyone, it's not even always for me. and these theories about it are not my own--after I read a Coltrane biography by Lewis Porter, where he transcribes this stuff and breaks down what's happening in the music, I started taking another listen to this music and found it had grown on me. but to each his own...

Reply To Post

14. by kneejerk52
          (397 posts)

19 years ago

yea in know, but ill never forget what my late brother always told me how he would end his parties, and believe me he LOVED mainstream. he would just put on the most outrageous Miles D. and everyone would start to filter out. does this mean it was bad, no, but most people can't relate to it, or don't understand it. it's easier to be mesmorized by the idoit "smooth jazz" with tin can sounding sopranos spewing the same crap over and over again so they can't possiblly not hear it. i know the masters all worked harder than any of us just due to the tecno. available to us. it shoud be eaiser to produce great players of any kind in this day. hope soon to hear some of this. have you heard Nelson Hill? young and very ambitous, Phil W. student and it shows.

Reply To Post

15. by mcorrea
          (25 posts)

19 years ago

that's the problem...I've never had a clue what most people can relate to or not...I just hear what I hear, which I guess is what they, and we, all do too. so to each their own. I haven't heard of Nelson Hill. when you say Phil Woods student, do you mean he's obviously been shedding a lot of Phil's playing or do you mean he actually studies with Phil Woods? man, one lesson with that guy would probably advance any of our playing by years (assuming of course we go home and shed all the stuff he'd lay on us 'til our lips fall off)...

Reply To Post

16. by Hexaclon
          (90 posts)

19 years ago

Hi, I have a question 4 tango. Heres the thing, I had the oportunity to record some tunes. The thing is that I had in my mind a free atonal idea for my solo in a swing, so thats what I did. Some cats liked it, some hated it. My question is, if I should have a limit to the "freeness" in my solo?...What if I feel like building tension but not resolving it never or just playin' what some people call random? Should I play what I feel? what do you guys think? thanks

Reply To Post AIM

17. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

My question is, if I should have a limit to the "freeness" in my solo? WHAT? First of all, I wouldn't ask TANGO for advice. TANGO is an idiot! That has already been determined by his other posts. If you have a feel for jazz, just play what you feel. Stay in the pocket. Don't get too abstract, so from that standpoint; yes, there is a "limit" to your "freeness". Make your solo tasty! Don't over-cook it! This cat's been jammin' with Detroit's finest for over 10 years. Sometimes less is more...just keep that in mind. Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

18. by TANGO SIX ONE
          (255 posts)

19 years ago

Conn sax man, an idiot to you but a genius to thousands and millions of others.The knights believe you are not even getting to first base so dont pick up the bat (Bird Lives)

Reply To Post

19. by Hexaclon
          (90 posts)

19 years ago

Hey man... Where can I send you a clip of a recording I made? I would like to hear your opinio and advise.

Reply To Post AIM

20. by TANGO SIX ONE
          (255 posts)

19 years ago

Need some more info first.The knights are open to listen to anything.We are fans of all improvised music providing of course its QUALITY.The KnightsI have played a lot of very free jazz in its time but back to the question .Can any form of music be totally free?

Reply To Post

21. by TANGO SIX ONE
          (255 posts)

19 years ago

The Knights feel you should express your self exactly how you wish .You raise a good point here.However one should always react to whatever is around you at any given moment in time.Band your with ,audience , room , whatever it should all play a part when you come to solo.

Reply To Post

22. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Well Tango, I recently had the opportunity to play with the Brian Setzer Orchestra. I'd say that's a little more than "getting to first base".

Reply To Post Yahoo!

23. by troymcclure
          (10 posts)

19 years ago

"Well Tango, I recently had the opportunity to play with the Brian Setzer Orchestra. I'd say that's a little more than "getting to first base"." It's more like getting a touchdown

Reply To Post

24. by TANGO SIX ONE
          (255 posts)

19 years ago

The Kights enjoy the comments here all pretty cool however no need to quote CVs at me. We have all played with this guy and that guy thats of no interest. I am interested in developing musical debate (BIRD LIVES)

Reply To Post

25. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I have never been one to limit myself to just one type of music. I've played everything from the dreaded Country Western (I also play guitar and keyboard) to jazz, blues, 50's rock, classic rock, funk, soul, disco, and I even...get this, I sequenced some background tracks for a local aspiring rap artist that I went to college with! Granted, rap isn't my thing, but I really enjoyed being a part of it!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

26. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I played alternative rock for a while too. From 1996-1998, I was the lead guitarist and lead vocalist in a band called Acid Rain. We opened for a few bands when they would do shows here in MI. We even had the opportunity in 1998 to tour with Ozzfest, but do to typical band drama, things were starting to fall apart at the time. What an opportunity that would have been!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

27. by kneejerk52
          (397 posts)

19 years ago

yes with phil directly. he also had a cat name mark kirk who i think was better and has a few discs out also. he sat with phil many years ago. i first saw him in easton pa. at the age of 15, and he was good then. you should hear him now. type in your search gary rissmiller quintet and you'll see the bio on the band

Reply To Post

28. by kneejerk52
          (397 posts)

19 years ago

yes with phil directly. he also had a cat name mark kirk who i think was better and has a few discs out also. he sat with phil many years ago. i first saw him in easton pa. at the age of 15, and he was good then. you should hear him now. type in your search gary rissmiller quintet and you'll see the bio on the band

Reply To Post

29. by blackfrancis
          (396 posts)

19 years ago

Tango, your line of thinking in this case is a bit off. Einstein couldn't make unification work, and neither can you or all the knights you can gather. TARDIS is B.S. Quantum theory says we are free to play whatever is in our heads and not be labeled "charlatan" by tiny minds. Maybe in another dimension they haven't gotten past Gregorian chant, and then You would be the "charlatan". Dr. Who and your limitations on jazz are so last century.

Reply To Post

30. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Tango, you are ONE STRANGE CAT!!! Have you been chasing rabied mice or something? Perhaps one of them bit you! Have you been foaming at the mouth? Double vision? Frequent headaches? You should probably go to the vet and get yourself checked out....or put to sleep!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

31. by saxismyaxe
          (575 posts)

19 years ago

True. Tango (or who ever the heck he is) seem to be awfully upset at the idea that we are "Ganging" up on him, and his "Crew". However, given his bizzare behavior, he needs to be more worried about being tag teamed right into a padded cell. Time to stop huffing the DRAINO before logging on, my friend.

Reply To Post

32. by Saxman2200
          (64 posts)

19 years ago

Hmmmmm, good theory, but I dont think Tango has the mental capacity to catch a rabied mouse. Whatever it is it must be a birth defect.

Reply To Post

33. by TANGO SIX ONE
          (255 posts)

19 years ago

Nice one the Knights like it Padded cells had one for years quite comfortable (Bird Lives)

Reply To Post

34. by TANGO SIX ONE
          (255 posts)

19 years ago

Like it may be i will Bird Lives) Vets are pretty smart

Reply To Post

35. by Hexaclon
          (90 posts)

19 years ago

Hey tango, I think that it is possible to music to be free but not "totaly" free, because freeness is unlimited I belive. You cant meassure freeness. And if theyr is a limit to freeness I dont know if we where able to understand it. Who knows, maybe the weirdest harmonys and sounds that are not grateful to our ears are some tipe of advanced harmony that our ears are not prepared for.

Reply To Post AIM

36. by argonne
          (24 posts)

19 years ago

Among other things, I think we are getting caught up in labels here. The word "free" has connotations as does say bebop or swing. And just because the ancients may have played music without modern structure, dosen't mean they didn't have their own traditions that some may or may not have adhered to. As it was when Ornette et al first played "free". Sure it was different, but we can hear earlier influences. I guess in a musical sense, the only way for a person to play totally free is if they picked up a horn never having seen one, or heard one, or heard anything for that matter. Or seen anything, etc... Since this is impossible, I think the closest reasonable definition of free that still implies no structure, is simply that. We can't ignore our experience, or practice, or habits, or what we've already heard, but we can pick up and improvise without planning, discussing, formatting, etc. And what we improvise dosen't have to have a formal pattern, or beginning or end other than whatever happens without forethought. I'm sure we can all come up with examples of groups that don't play a "song" they just react to eachother, and/or lead eachother in whatever direction comes at the moment.

Reply To Post

37. by TANGO SIX ONE
          (255 posts)

19 years ago

Excellent ,the knights give maximum respect and agree.We have considered your views and could not have put it better.(Bird Lives)

Reply To Post

38. by TANGO SIX ONE
          (255 posts)

19 years ago

Another excellent reply The knights agree (Brd lives)

Reply To Post

39. by mintyfreshjam
          (48 posts)

19 years ago

Jim, Relax man. That's great that you played with all those guys, but still, that doesn't make you the man. You're one of the guys who gets called. That's cool. Rubbing it in someone's face because their views are different from yours is not. Stop being a jerk to TANGO. You're giving the rest of the jazz world a bad name.

Reply To Post

40. by TANGO SIX ONE
          (255 posts)

19 years ago

to :mintyfreshjam: full respect thanks for the support.The knights havent had much, on this site.Thanks again all the best.(Bird lives)jazz lives on l

Reply To Post

41. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

mintyfreshjam, My posts were meant to be sarcastic yet humorous. I'm not attacking Tango as a person, I'm only making fun of his whole "knight" personna. If you consider that "being a jerk" than so be it. I think Tango has a lot of great ideas, and I agree with him on most points, but I think you can take things too far. Some of the cats I play with are much like the Knights; very set in their ways and not about to change their way of thinking. One thing I've learned about the music business is that the people who get ahead are the people who dare to be different; creative. I try to be an innovator, always trying new things. I've accomplished a lot and I have been very successful with my music because I do not limit myself to just one style of music. I play jazz and bebop, but I also play old time rock and roll, classic rock, blues, soul, funk, and pop. I've had many opportunities to play because I am so versatile. Merely stating my accomplishments isn't "rubbing it in someone's face"! I'm actually very humble about my accomplishments, but I am also very proud because I have worked very hard and practiced many hours to get where I am. Minty, I think you're the one who needs to relax! Tango, you would gain a lot more respect if you would just drop the "Knights" crap! Just post your comments like a normal person!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

42. by saxismyaxe
          (575 posts)

19 years ago

Jim, don't sweat it. You're one of the nicest people who post on this board, and go out of your way to help those who ask and need it. Unfortunately, in the world we live in, being modest can sometimes come back to slap you in the face. Regarding the "Knights", I would have a whole lot more respect if I didn't have to refer to the chap as TANGO, and he would shed the ridiculous facade and beam on back to Planet Earth. I have a since of humor when something is actually funny.

Reply To Post

43. by saxismyaxe
          (575 posts)

19 years ago

"I have a since of humor when something is actually funny." But apparently I do not have a spell checker! Make that "sense".

Reply To Post

44. by TANGO SIX ONE
          (255 posts)

19 years ago

The knights state Earth is only one of many planets,We actually know of a planet which no one else on it but vetsand more vets. Problem is there are on animals on the planet so the vets are all out of work.Unwittingly this is good as they are all playing Jazz all day and night long heaven (bird lives)

Reply To Post

45. by TANGO SIX ONE
          (255 posts)

19 years ago

In reply to the Einstien comments yes take your point but the knights feel that he died attempting to predict etc.We realise the ambiguity of quantum mechanics as he was the father of and in later life moving away from this.Nice one for checking out TARDIS .Few have made the conection.The Knights are currently looking at quantum theory regarding use of the mind in particles against wave,making it happen .The knights are currently of the opinion of all pre determined action but are currently searching to try change thinking.Great reply (BIRD LIVES)

Reply To Post

46. by Saxman2200
          (64 posts)

19 years ago

I'm behind Jim on this one. If you read the posts, Tango is the one who started the personal attacks, Jim was just defending himself. Just saying you have acheived alot isnt "rubbing it in his face." I have read alot of his posts, and he has helped me out alot. He is a nice guy, and I have never seen him post anything before. I think Tango needs to just chill and stop with the charade. He may have some intelligent thoughts, however its just plain annoying to have to wade through all of his "Charactor" to get to it. He needs to grow up, or stop posting here.

Reply To Post

47. by TANGO SIX ONE
          (255 posts)

19 years ago

O Dear Another one .Another predictable response Those last comments of yours, in yet another attack on the knights and their order, display the illiteracy of an unstable individual, and make the charge of the Light brigade sound like a sound sensible military exercise. We are on the forum to discuss Saxophone playing and music; The knights Templar do not attack anybody unless they have been attacked. That is the rule of law, sadly the mindless world have other ideas. . The knights will continue to fight and defend Jazz and racism at all costs . The knights have a right to their existence just as you have to yours. Your very comments exploit you to the full. Also race and colour of the Knights Templar have been mentioned in derogatory terms on this site which is absolutely deplorable. Artists are above this level of thinking. The Teutonic knights have also expressed their sadness but believe re education for you a slim but possible hope. Start by getting your drummers to lay off a lot of kick drum. Make sure they keep the high hat in at all times. Well good luck it may help. The Knights Templar will continue to fight against individuals or collectives who constantly attack the knights and their Quest for Jazz. The Knights will always when playing Black to these characters, play C5. These are the very people who when asked if they are playing Flat or plus Nines always reply, No we play in tune. The knights Templar are very proud to stand up for the music of Bird, Newk, Traine, and beyond. . The jazz Saxophone player is a savant by definition. He or she doesn’t get involved with lowering l themselves to the rank and file and using language of the gutter. They do not attack anyone unless they have been attacked. The knights therefore, are exposing the pseudo musicians. This response is dedicated to jazz musicians everywhere, all levels, who, for whatever reasons continue to play Jazz because they love it and are willing to stand up for it when the occasion demands. (Bird Lives)

Reply To Post

48. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

TANGO, Like I said, although you have a lot of great ideas and I agree with about 99% of what you have said, your good ideas are lost in your endless sea of bullshit!

Reply To Post Yahoo!