Saxophone Forum

by bibbage
(22 posts)
19 years ago

Just started

Hi, I've just started learning the Alto Sax (I'm 52), had 2 lessons so far. I bought a cheap Sax from ebay, before I found this forum but I'm pleased with it and can always upgrade as and when. My teacher has suggested that I should get a better mouthpiece either the Yamaha 4C or the Selmer S80 C*. So, which one should I go for, as a beginner there's probably not much point in me trying them first as I wouldn't know which was best. Regards Bibbage

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by The_MarkVI
    (80 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Just started

100% go with the S80 C*. It is more versitle and more dynamic then the 4C. it is worth the extra money by far!! It was my first mouthpiece too.

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I wouldn't buy a Selmer S-80. It's a bad design, and it's too expensive. The Yamaha 4C is a great mouthpiece. I would also recommend the Otto Link Tone Edge, or a hard rubber Meyer or Morgan piece with a moderate facing. There are many better pieces than the S80 for less money. The square chamber causes a lot of intonation problems. I've tried one on 5 different altos; a Selmer SBA, Conn 6M, Buescher 400, Conn New Wonder Series II (Chu Berry) and a Yamaha YAS62II. The piece performed best on the Yamaha which is only about a year old. It doesn't match up to vintage horns very well at all! Especially the Conns. Even on the Selmer there were intonation problems. especially in the lower octave. On the Yamaha, the S80 sounded ok except for a lack of projection. I recently ordered the Otto Link Tone Edge hard rubber piece and I am very satisfied with it. It has an open chamber design for maximum projection and brilliance.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by karebear1012
        (395 posts)

19 years ago

hey Jim, just wanted to tell you about my 1st marching band rehearsal (it was last night). I'm second chair...the 1st chair guy is in college i think? So we learned the songs, got em memorized, and learned the choreography for each song. If you get the Boston St. Pattys day Parade on Sunday at 1 on TV, try to find me!!! im the altosax player makina fool of herself lolz. it's pretty cool though cuz we get $30 per gig. I was also wondering...as you know we're looking at pro horns... do any of the vintage horns have the high F# key? I'm trying to decide whether to go new Selmer / Keilwerth, or vintage... Thanks, Kara

Reply To Post

1. by jamterry
          (573 posts)

19 years ago

kara, i vote for vintage selmer, new selmer. and i don't know kielworth. kara you don't need an F# key. kara buy a book called "ted nash's study in high harmonics" kara i have two mark VI's and they play sweet!!!! i bought these horns at about 1/10 of what they cost now. i like the ref 54, but is pricey. i don't know keilworth. Kara let me know you decide on please.best of luck to you always. :)

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

2. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

The F# key didn't come about until the mid 70's I believe Kara. I'm not sure which company was the first to have the F#. It's really not a big deal. You can play a 2 finger F# easy enough. Have you looked at the new Yamaha 62's and 82"s? They're GREAT horns and very affordable. I was very impressed with them. Of course you know I love the Keilwerth SX-90! I've been playing my SX-90 soprano a lot lately and I absolutely love it! It's 10 times the horn my Selmer Series III is! If I run across a good deal on a nice vintage horn I'll let you know. If you were closer I'd let you take my 6M for a while and try it. I doubt I can get the boston parade. I wish I could. Tape it for me if you can. I'll have to send you a mouthpiece and some reeds and stuff to check out.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

3. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

19 years ago

yeah, i'll definately tape if for you if i can! soundz good=) I did try out some yamahas and a selmer series III, II, reference, and like 4 different keilwerths. The yamahas I tried were extremely bright, and the one that wasn't was the unlaquered Z (and it sold). What i'm worrying about is my director is a huge "selmer snob", and if he doesn't like you (or your horn), you aren't going to get anywhere with your music. It really sucks, but that's just the way it works with him...

Reply To Post

2. by bibbage
        (22 posts)

19 years ago

Well conflicying reports on the mouth piece so I guess it's down to my budget - thanks Bibbage

Reply To Post

1. by wayoobyrd
          (2 posts)

19 years ago

I just got the C*, and I couldn't be more pleased. It's my first decent mouthpiece that isn't silver. I love it, and recomend it.

Reply To Post

3. by jamterry
        (573 posts)

19 years ago

if cost is no object, get the selmer C* it plays true with no coloration. practice hard!!!! best of luck to you :)

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by lejazzhotsax
          (15 posts)

19 years ago

You can get S80 C* mouthpieces for under $50 on ebay. That's the going price if you don't mind a used mouthpiece. What kind of sound are you looking for? If you need to really project volume, the Yamaha 4C will do it easier than the Selmer S-80 C*. The reissue Paris C* Soloist is another option, either. The Otto Link is really dark (even tubby) but is a unique sound that's different from both the Yamaha or the Selmers. I blow an old white Brilhart 5* that has a really versatile sound and is full but not too edgy and can handle a softer reed without sounding overly bright. I'm getting too old for the hard reed setups that a well played Selmer C* requires. Best wishes and have fun!

Reply To Post