Saxophone Forum

by argonne
(24 posts)
19 years ago

Selmer Bundy fun

Though not as exciting as my Conn 10 M, I recently unearthed my Selmer Bundy and gave it a blow remembering that it actually did have some charachter and a pretty beefy sound for a horn of its type. This is not a Bundy II, its painted gold with nickel plated keys, and says its made in Elkhart. I think the serial number is 502,XXX but then again it might be 302,XXX. Can't remember. Anyway, I'd be interested in anyone elses experiences with these horns and if anyone might know the vintage. Maybe some of you have been pleasantly surprised by a seemingly innocuous sax.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by sax_maniac
    (984 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Selmer Bundy fun

I just finished a refurb on a Bundy (not II) alto, and it's tone is so full and warm. Basic/student model Bundys, Conns, and Kings don't get lots of ooohs and aaahs from standers by when you take them out of the case, but I've not ever been disappointed with how they play and sound once I've set them up. It's understandable that players wanting a new-looking horn resort to cheap imports when they want to save a few bucks and don't know any better. And then there's the folks caught in the trap that only the expensive collectable vintage horns are worth owning and playing. I feel sorry for all of them.

Reply To Post

2. by kneejerk52
    (397 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Selmer Bundy fun

i agree, i recently did a total breakdown, cleaning, treated the pads and put back together of my 1970 selmer bundy tenor, i was shocked with the rich fullbodied sound that came out! it also was "fun".

Reply To Post