Saxophone Forum

by invocansax
(27 posts)
19 years ago

any rahsaan roland kirk fans?

just wanted to know...this cat continues to intrigue me. 3 horns..then playing with just one arm after a stroke...tremendous talent!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by mcorrea
    (25 posts)

19 years ago

Re: any rahsaan roland kirk fans?

one of my absolute favorite musicians. he'd be that if he only played tenor. but with everything else he does, wow, he's a testament to the power of the human soul. listen to him on "Oh Yeah", a Mingus album....phenomenal. or any of his live albums. I hope someone uncovers a whole bunch of footage of him performing, man, that must've been one of the most intense musical experiences available that day. the three horns thing gets some people to look at him as an "avant-garde" player, but his playing was so steeped in the tradition of jazz....his playing was so bluesy and swung like mad. one of the true heroes of the music, in my opinion.

Reply To Post

1. by invocansax
      (27 posts)

19 years ago

Thats true man, on tenor he was smokin! your right about the three horn thing, he was sometimes viewed as a "freakshow" but if you listen intently, beneath the tenor, saxello, stritch and whistles there was a deep rooted tradition of jazz in his playing...even when he had that stroke..he kept on...a true testament to the power of the human spirit...id love to buy the box set thats currently out....my all time fave track? its got to be "No tonic pres" and "Stompin grounds"

Reply To Post

1. by mcorrea
        (25 posts)

19 years ago

which new box set is that? hmmm....my birthday's comin' up....the two live albums of his I have that I like are called "Bright Moments" and "Compliments of the Mysterious Phantom". 100% great playing. and to top it off, he as a funny dude when interacting with the audience...he'd go on like 3 or 4 minute long diatribes to introduce a song. a special artist indeed.

Reply To Post