Saxophone Forum

by doubled
(7 posts)
19 years ago

Keilwerth Shadow... Should I?

I've been playing Tenor since the 7th grade and I'm 27. I've never played a "new" horn before and the horn I have is a vintage horn that has been faithful to me, but a desire to have a new horn has been eating away at me. My question is, If I'm going to buy new out the box, and shell out 4500 big ones, should it be the shadow? BTW, the vintage horn is a Keilwerth series III.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Keilwerth Shadow... Should I?

the Keilwerth SX series is a wonderful horn rather you spend the extra for the Shadow or just stick with the basic lacquered model. It's a matter of preference I suppose, and budget. but if you have the extra to spend, go for it! You're 27, so you've been playing a while and can appreciate the horn's finer qualities. An investment such as this will last you a lifetime.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by mosplace
      (26 posts)

19 years ago

Yeah, go for the Shadow!! I play the Shadow tenor now for over one year. I got one of the first models ever sold. It is simply awsome! Never regreted for one second this purchase.

Reply To Post

1. by mosplace
        (26 posts)

19 years ago

By the way, here is a sound sample, that i have recorded earlier this month. It is my very first home recording and I?m not playing that long saxophone yet. Only since 2 years. So please don?t listen to the mistakes :). www.simplysax.de/Soundbeispiele/Someoneneu.wma

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Nice job mosplace! Great tune. That sax sounds so much like a 10M I'd swear it was a 10M! It definately has that vintage sound.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by mosplace
          (26 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks! I love this sax. I can sound realy warm an mellow and it can tear down walls if you want too. I have another soundsample. It is the same song. I tried to play a duett there with me SX90R Anniversary Alto. www.simplysax.de/Soundbeispiele/Someone2.wma

Reply To Post

2. by Nickelcreek88
        (1 post)

19 years ago

Hey, im a senior in highschool and my music teacher bought a shadow about 2 months ago, and coincidentally i bought a keilworth 75th anniversary the same week. We played and compared and well they are very similiar with the 75th having a slightly darker tone. The reason im bringing this up is because i paid less then half for my 75th then he paid for his shadow. Although they are hard to find, ithink you should try to find one to play, its a great horn and although i'de prefer a shadow, the 75th stacks upvery well to the shadow. 4500 dollars seems like alot for a sax when i got something very similiar and paid 1900.

Reply To Post

1. by blumartinigrl
          (1 post)

19 years ago

I just thought I'd let you know I agree with Nickelcreek88, I have a friend in a similar situation, he likes his keilworth but its all about what tone you want! And not every player makes the same tone! And not every sax even if its the same type makes the same tone!

Reply To Post

1. by doubled
            (7 posts)

19 years ago

Well, I couldn't do it. I decided to go for the BNS instead for about a grand less. I'm waiting for it to be shipped, so I'll let you know how it performs!

Reply To Post

1. by doubled
              (7 posts)

19 years ago

Oops... it my previous post, I meant to to say I'm purchasing the Nickel-Silver not the Black Nickel-Silver.

Reply To Post