Saxophone Forum

by jazzchick
(5 posts)
19 years ago

Yanagisawa Elimona Soprano

I don't have a soprano, but have played a lot of the newer versions out there because I am looking into purchasing one. I want to do something with music in college, so I want a nice horn that plays well. New sopranos are like $2800-3500 and my parents wouldn't spend that much. I could probably get them to spend about $2000. I've been looking on Ebay and lately i've been seeing a lot of Elimonas posted. They're in my price range too. I like the fact that they have the curved and straight neck. They look nice in my opinion. I have a yanagisawa alto and am happy with it...so maybe the elimona would be a nice sax as well? Has anyone ever played one, if so, what's your opinion?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Bays
    (2 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Yanagisawa Elimona Soprano

I have an Elimona that I purchased from J.L. Smith & Co. (a very reputable dealer) in 1997 for $1995. It is serial #143339, which puts the year of manufacture at 1987. It was the first 2-neck soprano that Yanagisawa produced, and I do not think they have improved on it. The quality of the finish is extraordinary, as it looks new even today. This is one of the things that the company has been known for. I love the horn. It plays absolutely in tune, and is many times my choice over my alto or tenor when playing with a jazz group. The action is fast and fluid. My wife likes hearing it better than any of my other horns. I have not played the new straight horn, but I did try a curved bronze Yani and felt that the sound and handling were not as satisfying as my Elimona. I would encourage you to look for a horn from a dealer and not from an ebay auction so that you will be assured that you are getting a horn that plays and that has not been damaged. I have heard too many horror stories of auction horns that have been total rip-offs. Hope you find one that you like as well as I do mine.

Reply To Post

2. by airborne
    (1 post)

14 years ago

Re: Yanagisawa Elimona Soprano

i have a yanagisawa elimona that i am currently selling now. if your intreseted?

Reply To Post