Saxophone Forum

by 10rsax
(19 posts)
19 years ago

"NEW YORK" Selmer mystery solved.....Not a CONN !!

Something just didn't jive when I looked at the New Wonder series 1 Conn Pics, and after reading that Buescher also made a Selmer New York stencil, I pulled up Saxpics/Buescher, and found a dead ringer, a 1925 Buescher True Tone, down to the last detail! Then I read that some of Buescher's crew were former Conn techs and builders! How does the True Tone stack up against the New Wonders and Chu's for tone and overall playability? Mike

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxismyaxe
    (575 posts)

19 years ago

Re: "NEW YORK" Selmer mystery solved.....Not a CONN !!

Well spank my arse and call me Charlie! If what you say is indeed true, it will be the first, and only, Selmer New York model NOT made by Conn. The Selmer horns notably manufactured by Buescher are the Selmer Padless and the Bundy lines. The Selmer Manhattan was made by Martin. If yours is a True Tone stencil New York and not a New Wonder, I would hang on to it, as it is quite rare indeed. True Tone horns have a slightly better scale and intonation in my opinion, and are sweeter and more centered in overall tone than the Conn's. The downside is that the key work can be a bit clunky, especially the left hand pinkie table keys. But most think this of the New Wonder Series I too, so there you are. Keep us updated, as I am fascinated by your findings. Cheers.

Reply To Post

1. by saxismyaxe
      (575 posts)

19 years ago

By "Only" I mean the only one I have heard of, not to imply that it is the only one in existance.

Reply To Post

1. by saxismyaxe
        (575 posts)

19 years ago

By the way Mike, from what source did you read that Buescher also made the NEW YORK models specifically? Is there an online source for it? I'd like to possibly add that to my reference materials, as I have never come across this, and it sparks my interest. Most Saxophone Historians are aware of the afore mentioned Padless Selmer horns made by them for Selmer, but I would venture to guess that most are not aware of any N.Y. models other than Conn. I'll have to go back to school on this (Mind you, Selmers are NOT my area of expertise) with this new evidence! Thanks in advance. Michael.

Reply To Post

1. by 10rsax
          (19 posts)

19 years ago

Michael, I sifted through so many pages of material on the web, that I have lost the page that tipped me off to Buescher. The horn did come in a (DUHHH) Buescher case, however I assumed it was from some other old horn. Saxgourmet, and Sax pics both made mention of Selmer stencils. Mike

Reply To Post

2. by 10rsax
          (19 posts)

19 years ago

I will go back through "History" and see if I can find the site I was on. The Saxpic/Buescher True Tone 140xxx example is identical to my horn, except bare brass and the Selmer NEW YORK stencil. I will continue to research history and see what comes up! Mike

Reply To Post

3. by saxismyaxe
          (575 posts)

19 years ago

Mike, Lol, thanks. I know what you mean about stacks of reference material. In addition to Sax/Musical instruments/Jazz/General Music topics, I have a number of other interests that have caused an alarming horde of magazines/books/printouts etc. to accumulate around my house/garage/workshop/studio/outbuildings etc. Being an avid bibliophile compounds the problem. : ) Anyway, take your time, and if you happen upon the info again, if you would, please post it. Thanks. BTW, either way, it sounds like you have a keeper of a horn. Cheers. Michael.

Reply To Post

4. by 10rsax
          (19 posts)

19 years ago

As I picked up my Buescher TT stencil "Selmer NEW YORK" alto from the shop (overhaul), my tech emphatically asked, "WHERE DID YOU FIND THIS HORN"!!! And when I plugged it into my Link and blew a bit, I could only grin! Then the real shocker came when he pulled out a mint 1956 Conn 10M for $650 (consignment) That I brought home.(BIGGER GRIN)

Reply To Post

2. by jeffsrepairshop
        (1 post)

10 years ago

FYI...I have a Buescher/selmer stencil tenor. It is old enough to have soldered on conical,beveled tone holes and pre-dates pearl finger buttons.Serial numbers on stencils are vague, at best, but pearl buttons appeared around 1915. The Bueschers will have the unmistakeable daisy bell strap. This horn came in the shop a short while ago and I have not decided wether to restore it or sell it as is. It's rough, but hey, it's a hundred years old.
        I too looked for a long time to find a match and more info, but have not yet seen another with brass buttons. Any one else have more info. pics available......toot toot...Jeff 

Reply To Post

1. by GFC
          (842 posts)

10 years ago

Here's a link to some info on BTH Bueschers.  You have to scroll down a bit.

http://www.saxpics.com/?v=mod&modID=1

It looks like Buescher made BTH horns under their own brand until about 1920, maybe a bit later.  It was commonplace for leftover parts of discontinued horns to be used to fill stencil orders, so things like brass keytouches and soldered toneholes might not constrain the latest production date very well.  

Reply To Post