Saxophone Forum

by rosscoe88
(5 posts)
19 years ago

Mk VII?

Hey, What do you all think of Selmer Mk VII's?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Mk VII?

THEY SUCK!!! The only good Selmers are the SBA's and the earlier 5 Mark VI's (5 digit serial numbers) The rest is just over-rated, over-priced GARBAGE! Only legit players, band geeks who want to impress their band director, and French fags play Selmer! REAL saxophone players play Keilwerth or Yamaha, or the great vintage AMERICAN horns like Conn, King, Buescher, and Martin!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by definition
      (963 posts)

19 years ago

**Whistles** While tend to agree with Jim on that, I'm not gonna eb quiet so harsh... the other Selmers can be alright most the time and are very versatile horns, but you will never get the balls-to-the-wall sound of a Conn 10M or a King super 20/zephyr on it, or the super sweetness of a Buescher Aristocrat. Stick with Jim's suggestions for an amazing playin horn

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by potatos_69
      (4 posts)

19 years ago

Real players play yamaha... So a real sax player should be playing a mass produced overpriced instrument, that will most likely lose value very quickly?

Reply To Post

1. by definition
        (963 posts)

19 years ago

Actually, they do hold their value very well the yamaha horns. They are also priced very well, especially in comparison to the horribly high priced selmer crap of this day and age!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

3. by barisax999
      (400 posts)

19 years ago

id like to start by expressing my disgust with the guy who refers to them as "french fags". its toally uncalled for, and he just sounds like an idiot. just because the french are smarter, and more open minded than americans, doesnt mean that they are homosexual. the mark viis are well made horns, even more slightly in tune then the mark vi's. so i think they play very well. in fact i would say that i have never played on a bad selmer(paris seried) horn. but also look ino the yanagisawas, the 991 is very good.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by definition
        (963 posts)

19 years ago

Hey don't come down onJim like that, he's one of the most knowledgable on horns on the site, though seems quite vocal on his dissent for Selmer vs the vintage american horns.... And on the Mark VII having beter intonation: That it may have, but you may as well be 40 cents sharp if there is no character to the sound. That being said the only Mark VIIs Ive found to be decent are the early altos, the rest were just kinda... eh

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by barisax999
          (400 posts)

19 years ago

i respect his opinion on saxes, however his lack of respect for both the french people and homosexuals makes me want to totally disregard all of his comments. and his total and uncodintional love for american made crap pisses me off. just because it says USA on it doesnt mean its good, in fact its generally the opposite. and people wonder why the whole world hates america

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by connsaxman_jim
            (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Well, I obviously struck a nerve, and I think I just proved my point! But just for the record, my grandfather on my dad's side was born in Lyons, France and moved to Canada when he was 5 years old, and later to Detroit, Michigan. So I am more than 1/4 French! I also have an uncle on my mom's side who is homosexual. He's a very smart man; and a doctor who I highly admire. As for my lack of respect for French people, will you please answer a few questions for me. First of all, who saved your asses in World Wars I and II. If it hadn't been for thousands of American lives, your national language would be German! So why are American's treated so badly in France? I spent a lot of money to visit Paris, and I felt so unwelcome there! I've been to other European countries, such as Germany, and The Netherlands, where I felt very welcome, and was treated very well by the local people; especially in The Netherlands! Dutch people are AWESOME!!! I can't wait to visit your country again! Finally, you French fags have had plenty to say about the war on terrorism and the war in Iraq. You're our #1 Critic! You had the opportunity to step up and lend a hand to the country who defended you in 2 World Wars, and fought to protect YOUR freedom ar OUR expense, but you cowards don't have the balls! You criticise every move our president makes! I'm not pro-Bush, and God knows there are things that I would have handled much differently. Don't even get me started on that! But PUT UP OR SHUT UP!!! Just don't count on us bailing your asses out the next time you need us! The general consensus here in the United States is..... F@#K FRANCE!!! "and people wonder why the whole world hates america" Interesting statement. We have thousands more people trying to "sneak into" our Country every day than try to sneak into France!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by davidau
            (37 posts)

19 years ago

Who cares about your GREAT STORY here? kid? "As for my lack of respect for French people, will you please answer a few questions for me. First of all, who saved your asses in World Wars I and II. " LOL...Jim really think his grand father saved the world haha...stfu u maked me laugh in font of my pc

Reply To Post

3. by connsaxman_jim
            (2336 posts)

19 years ago

davidau, how old are you? 15? Do you even have a clue what you're talking about? I'd bet that I have been playing sax more years than you you've been alive! No, I'm not a kid. You are a kid, obviously. Your lack of maturity gives it away. You're obviously not a very smart kid either, or at least you haven't mastered the English language well enough to write intelligently. I've read a couple of your comments. I'd be surprised if you even knew which end of a saxophone to blow through! I think it's kind of ironic; you said "u maked me laugh in font of my pc". laugh in font? really? What are you laughing for? YOU'RE THE JOKE!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

4. by barisax999
            (400 posts)

19 years ago

well as it turns out i am not french i am actually dutch. if it hadnt been for the french, this country would still be under the british crown. so you dont support bush, but you dont like the countries that dont back him???? i mean come on, common sense hereand as for people hating america, when was the last time you saw people run planes into french buildings, if you dont provoke people they dont attack you, unless theyre american, then theyll attack regardless. and i cant believe even though you know and are related to homosexuals you still use "fag" as a negative term, i mean how disrespectful can you be to your own family

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

5. by connsaxman_jim
            (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Well, the French helped us earn our Independence from England too, but I think we've more than repaid them for that! There are acts of terrorism committed in EVERY country, not just America. America is the greatest, most powerful country in the world. Therefore, we are a more valuable target for terrorism than France or The Netherlands. The American people that died Sept. 11 did NOTHING to provoke such an attack, and only a complete moron such as yourself would suggest such a thing! I'd love to kick you gay ass for that comment! I'm not pro-Bush. If I were running the country, I would have handled some things differently, but I also know that he has had to make some very difficult decisions. Even though I do not agree with him 100%, I do support him! If you agree with what he's doing, great! If not, SHUT UP! That's all I'm saying! I do respect my uncle. I respect him because he is a good man and he has worked very hard to be successful and he has overcome a lot of hardships in his life. I DO NOT agree with his sexual preference! He's family, and a good man, and therefore we have an understanding. We don't ask, and he doesn't tell! He lives among his circle of friends; many of which are well educated professional people. He's not a "flaming" advocate or "poster-boy" for the gay lifestyle.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

6. by connsaxman_jim
            (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Oh and one more thing. If it hadn't been for Conn and Buescher, the little saxophone company over the garage never would have made it. Who made the first Selmer saxophones? The earlier Selmer saxophones were designed after what companies horns? Why do you think they moved to Elkhart? Maybe Geo Bundy liked the weather there! Selmer was failing! They couldn't begin to compete with the American companies in terms of quality or cost! Conn and Buescher MADE Selmer! Then Selmer repaid the favor by stabbing them in the back and desecrating Buescher like they did! F@#K SELMER!!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

7. by barisax999
            (400 posts)

19 years ago

if your trying to tell me that buescher makes a good horn, im just gonna shake my head, i dont care who stabbed who, all i care about is who gives me the best horn

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

8. by connsaxman_jim
            (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Well, isn't this interesting! Saxquest member: barisax999 Location: elizabeth, CO United States Contact via: Join date: 4/7/2004 Last here: 4/23/2005 1:46:25 AM COMMUNITY INFO Forum Posts: 26 Last post: Re: Mk VII? on 4/23/2005 2:14:01 AM Elizabeth CO? "just because it says USA on it doesnt mean its good, in fact its generally the opposite. and people wonder why the whole world hates america" You don't say! Well if that's how you feel, why are you here? WHY DON'T YOU GET THE FUCK OUT!!!!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

9. by connsaxman_jim
            (2336 posts)

19 years ago

If I have offended anyone else I do apologise. I try to offer good advice and help people any way I can, and do so in a professional mannor. There are somethings that I feel very passionate about, and I can't think of anything that means more to me than this country that I live in, it's music and culture, and the people that have made this the greatest country on earth! From the farmers to the autoworkers; those legendary Conn craftsmen to the lady working behind the counter at Walmart, WE ARE THE BEST!!! Pardon my "French" and use of the other 2 "F Words". As hard as I try to be professional and courteous, I want to roll up my sleeves and go a few rounds when some idiot like barisax999 starts criticising the things I love most! Can you believe he lives in America and talks like that? If he has such a negative attitude towards America, then why is he here? Maybe we should email him and ask him? Maybe we should tell him to leave! Thanks Saxquest! Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

10. by The_§ax
            (147 posts)

19 years ago

Buescher Make GREAT HORNS especially the old 400 models. If you cant handle the old fashion fingering Bari then you arent good enough

Reply To Post

11. by definition
            (963 posts)

19 years ago

My bass is a True tone Buescher. I have a freind that plays and aristocrat tenor, another with a true tone alto, and another with a TH&C alto. Each one of them have some of the sweetest sounds you'll ever hear. I do also have a post Selmer buyout Buescher, and it sounds best the same way my bundy does: RUN OVER BY A TRUCK!! Until Selmer bought them out, Buescher was one of the Huge players in the sax world. Right there rubbin shoulders with the likes of Conn, Martin, King, F. E. Olds, Holton, Buffet, keilwerth, H. Couf, and SML. Selmer really once they developed and started sellin the MArk VI, has been killing itself since about halfway through the production runs of that model. If you email me, I'd happy to give you a nice long explanation of how Selmer Messed up! Oh and Jim, you just got that Buescher 400 TH&C right? Hows it playin? If its as bad as our freind here says, Ill be glad to take it off your hands cheaply! lmao

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

12. by connsaxman_jim
            (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Yes, I've had it a couple weeks. It plays and sounds GREAT! It sounds a lot like my 10M. The Buescher has a slightly more mellow sound. I played a gig with it last weekend, and tonight I'm playing with a blues band, and I'm not sure if I want to take the Buescher or my silver Chu Berry tenor. Oh, and by the way Barisax999, the 1949 Buescher 400 Top Hat & cane that Definition is referring to, I recently traded a 2003 Selmer Paris Series III soprano for! I really think I got the better end of the deal! This Buescher is immaculant!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

13. by johnsonfromwisconsin
            (767 posts)

19 years ago

----------------------------------------------------------------------- By posting in these forums users agree to not post copyrighted material owned by a party other than themselves or by Saxquest. Furthermore, they also agree to not post any information which is vulgar, harassing, hateful, threatening, invading of others privacy, sexually oriented, or violates any laws. -----------------------------------------------------------------

Reply To Post

14. by connsaxman_jim
            (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Well that's so nice of you to point that out Johnson!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

15. by johnsonfromwisconsin
            (767 posts)

19 years ago

Well, someone had to.

Reply To Post

16. by barisax999
            (400 posts)

19 years ago

i do thank you for pointing that out. you try and put a professional opinion on a web site and call someone when they insult other people, and you get is some jerk dropping f bombs

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

17. by connsaxman_jim
            (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I played the Buescher tonight. It's really a nice horn!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

18. by saxybandgeek_88
            (10 posts)

19 years ago

I would like to say that I play a selmer paris III quick action 80 and it plays like no other horn i've ever played. I've never encountered a mark VII but I hear that Mark VI is the best vintage selmer ever made.

Reply To Post

19. by nickhmorgan
            (5 posts)

19 years ago

I owned 2 Mark VIIs, an alto (N315,919) and a tenor (M278,430). In my opinion, the altos are nicer than alot of horns, but the reputation of the tenors, gives the altos a bad name. The tenors flopped, because of the neck angle and size. If you buy a no-neck VII tenor and put a VI neck on it, you will have the horn Selmer wished they had made. Now I just have to pass comment on this bullsh*t bickering on the forum. It seems, wherever you go, on whatever forum, you have "experts" with their "professional opinions" slagging eachother off, and it always boils down to personal beliefs and politics. This is a forum about saxophones, not George Bush, or American foreign policy. Just FYI, I had alot of family friends go missing working in Cantor Fitzgerald on Sept. 11. They didn't provoke an attack, but I feel that the US government has been provoking attacks for years, by supressing countries that have governments that are just as corrupt as the US government / senate. Putting my beliefs asside, we are all HUMANS. Regardless of race, or nationality, we are all intelligent and equal. And most importantly, we are all SAX PLAYERS, and we should be giving eachother SOUND and HONEST advice. And before we all go antagonizing eachothers countries and beliefs, please, do some research, and read some publications not indirectly sponsored by the powers to be. And please remember, we all have different views, and if we were all the same, there would be NO individuality. Living happily in Canada, Nick

Reply To Post

20. by TANGO SIX ONE
            (255 posts)

19 years ago

Response to everyone on this post from The knights Templar.Just finished working out on the horn before off to a cutting session read this lot. Excellent entertainment.What would be interesting in connsaxmans original reply is if jim, you can come up with some photos to support your theory ha ha , great stuff.The knights will not be discussing our fencing tactics at present.Regarding the question Mk7 altos we think are better than the tenors.These horns are ok but the Tenors do not compare with the sound of any other selmer.Although the mk7 tenor can give the impression at first because of the larger bore.They are ok, and not bad for a pro instrument if you benefit from having hands the size of the British isles. (Bird Lives)

Reply To Post

21. by TANGO SIX ONE
            (255 posts)

19 years ago

Response to ourselves: The knights templar would just like to add that if you just come on line and read this post top to bottom, with all the slagging off and someone walks right into the middle and states their sober opinion of mk7 it is hilarious.Admitted not for the guys fighting it out at the time but The knights think by and large its great stuff.The bit where someone points out the rules and jim thanking them for pointing them out brilliant.You got to see the funny side of it.The thing the knights love the most and respect is the passion.Friend or foe you cant fault that.(Bird Lives)

Reply To Post

22. by The_§ax
            (147 posts)

19 years ago

What is The Knights Templar. I see you in many forums speaking of them, you are starting to scare me!

Reply To Post

23. by definition
            (963 posts)

19 years ago

Dont bother asking, he wont give a straight answer, and he will just piss ya off, like he does everyone else. He doesnt carry much credibility for it

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

24. by barisax999
            (400 posts)

19 years ago

well i know what the actual templar knights were. they were from hundreds of years ago and they were supposed to know the final resting place of the "holy grail." of course there is different theories on what that actually is. of course the vatican hunted these people down and murdered them because of their knowledge.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

25. by TANGO SIX ONE
            (255 posts)

19 years ago

Response to barisax999.The knights Templar respect your research. You are correct. Response to definition.The knights have an aversion to bad language it explains so much about an individual and is surpurfluous.The knights Templar observe ignorance at firsthand.Still its out of any ones control but yourself, to try and do your best to improve.Good luck (Bird Lives)

Reply To Post

26. by definition
            (963 posts)

19 years ago

Tango, I was just stating the fact that we've asked you who the heck ya are and why you are using the reference to the knights so much, you'd be pretty cool probably if you responded like a person with an individual opinion, and didnt hide behind the knights. I often just ignore your posts now cause they often make no sense etc

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

27. by spifster
            (67 posts)

19 years ago

If y'all had been acting like adults and not getting angry at people who have other opinions, here's how this discusssion would've gone: roscoe: mark 7 Jim: I think it sucks. some other people: its ok. roscoe: what should i do? other people: go try it out for yourself, really the only way to judge a horn. Now, isn't that much better?

Reply To Post

28. by TANGO SIX ONE
            (255 posts)

19 years ago

Response to spifter: The knights templar state, yes we understand, fair point but the knights have to say yours is ok, but we feel that would be like reciting shakerpeare on a monotone,or making a cake without any filling.(Bird lives)

Reply To Post

29. by selmer 4evr
            (309 posts)

19 years ago

Hey rosscoe I have owned and played many a sax from cigar cutter to a few markVIs to SA80s to Series IIs and I have tried some series IIIs but a VII is unique . I have also played Buffet Prestige and so-called vintage horns ( as if they are like wine not so ) Let me tell you about a discussion with Londeix . The last time he came to Montreal for masterclasses I spoke with him on this particular subject. Unhappy with my Series II I asked him if he could pick out a horn for me the next time he was at Selmer Paris ( I studied with one of his prize students and I had good connections here). I had tried some of his horn picks ( for his students) and they are amazing. I also told him that I always preferred my VII to any horn I had ever tried. He responded this way: All Selmers saxes from BAs to SBA, to VI, to SA80 to Ser II are all, in his words;--beautiful mares. The MarkVII is more of a ;thorough-bred stallion; wild temperamental and difficult to tame, but when you can tame and harness it,,,, nothing comes close. Hemke also agrees with this as he was instrumental in the VII design. One more thing of interest ,,you have to know what you are doing when you pick a horn. All the horns he picked for his students were never liked at the beginning. This was especially true of the VIIs, they showed their potential after six months or so !!!! My teacher's horn ( 1977 ) took one year to develop and lose its original resistance ,,I have tried to purchase it on many occasions no dice!!!! He plays classical to jazz and it works on everything. The horn slices through any section. Anyway I still love, own, and play MarkVIIs even though I try just about everything . I believe Selmer was on a good path with the VII and exploring new ground with this horn. Too bad that North America was too stubborn to go along with the innovations ( some are found on every sax made today such as the three point brace) the evolution of the VII would have yielded interesting results. I might order a Sterling Silver Series III but only after Patrick Selmer assures me that Selmer could produce a Series III with a VII sound and bore. By the way I tell everybody that VIIs are not a good horn and to stay away!!! This keeps the price down and me happy,, try to do the same.

Reply To Post

30. by connsaxman_jim
            (2336 posts)

19 years ago

When Selmer started with the Mark VI, they had a pretty good design. They copied the large bore design from Dolnet, and then perfected it with the technology they had stolen from the American companies! The Mark VI's made from 1954-1958 were the best. Then, Selmer started to cheapen them up year after year, until people stopped buying them. Then, when they knew they had to do something, they introduced the Mark VII. The VII's are terrible. They're heavy, have terrible ergonomics, and are noted for having ntonation problems, and a hollow sound. Whatever horn you buy, PLAY IT FIRST! If you play a Mark VII and like it, GREAT! I'm happy for you, but PLAY ONE! Chances are you will agree.....THEY SUCK!!!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

31. by selmer 4evr
            (309 posts)

19 years ago

Hey connsaxman Mark VI you say ,,,I disagree the MkVI was the design with the least constant production standards there are some good ones but most are so so at best . Take a close look at a VI and see if you can find one with a straight body tube they all get crooked with time . see the following links www.shwoodwind.co.uk/Buying/vintage_modern.htm The VII are heavy ,,of course they are as they should be !! As for hollow sound that is exactly what I or any classical players want but we refer to it as open . To each his own I guess!!

Reply To Post

32. by connsaxman_jim
            (2336 posts)

19 years ago

That's just Selmer quality control for you! The original Mark Vi's were pretty good. I have one of the first 50 tenors made; 1954. It's really a nice horn, just not really my sound. I suppose the Mark VII is better suited to classical. I play more jazz and blues, so it just doesn't work for me. As you said, to each his own.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

33. by potatos_69
            (4 posts)

19 years ago

wat your opinion on the later conn's? The ones they were making around the time the selmer mark 6's and 7's were being made. I play a mark 7 and it has a great sound, its a great instrument and it cost's less than a selmer mark 6 does.

Reply To Post

34. by connsaxman_jim
            (2336 posts)

19 years ago

The best Conns are those made from about 1930-1962. In my opinion, the 6M alto 26M Connqueror alto and 10M tenor and 30M Connqueror tenor are the best saxophones ever made. The Conn saxophones made from 1963-1969 in Elkhart are good horns. Those made after 1970 were not so good. The horns made in Nogales were slightly better than those made in Mexico, but after the MacMillan buy out in 1969. Conn really went downhill. Those horns made after Daniel Henkin bought Conn from MacMillan in 1980, and brought the company back to Indiana are good student horns. The 25M's are nice student-intermediate horns. Since the Selmer snobs have taken over, I think most of the Conn saxophones today are made in Taiwan. Still, for the money, they're not too bad.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

35. by The_§ax
            (147 posts)

19 years ago

Yes Exactly, those Selmer Snobs!

Reply To Post

36. by spifster
            (67 posts)

19 years ago

Response to Tango: I see your point, but the point of saxquest is different than the point of Shakespeare. Shakespeare is aimed for entertainment, while Saxquest is meant to be a place where you can get advice about certain aspects of saxophone playing. This is not saying that watching the more brash individuals on this site argue isn't entertaining, but it's not what saxquest was meant for. I understand the whole sharing of opinions thing, and that's fine, but international political views really don't have any relevance or place on a saxophone site.

Reply To Post

37. by The_§ax
            (147 posts)

19 years ago

In reply to the things said about the wars. #&$! the americans, if you are gunna bag the french, i am gunna bag the Americans. I am just glad that i live in the glorious country of AUSTRALIA Yes you heard right, the greatest country of them all

Reply To Post

38. by connsaxman_jim
            (2336 posts)

19 years ago

A little piece of advice Sax.... Comments like that are not going to make you any friends; especially in this forum, and I'm the son of a retired Navy captain. have family and friends fighting in Iraq right now. Regardless of your feelings about the war, young men and women are over there risking their lives for freedom! Not only our freedom, but the freedom of a country ruled by one of the most cruel, ruthless individuals in history! These people deserve our respect and admiration. My problem with France is; for 2 world wars, we have fought to save their country! The battle of Normandy was not fought for the United States, it was fought to preserve France! The United States once have close relations with France, and American citizens were treated very well in France, but today, that just doesn't seem to be the case at all! Having traveled to Paris, which, believe me, was quite a costly trip; I was appauled at how I was treated over there. I felt very unwelcome. The French have had plenty to say about our president and the war, and have yet to lend us any support whatsoever. I find it ironic that the insignificant countries of the world, with their own political and economic problems have stepped up to the plate, and yet France, who is SUPPOSE to be one of our allies, has done nothing but criticise! That tends to lower my opinion of them! So, if you want to sit there and badmouth America, that's fine! Have at it! But at least read a newspaper, turn on the television, and dig a little deeper into the subject! In other words.....know what the hell you're talking about!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

39. by The_§ax
            (147 posts)

19 years ago

Sorry Jim! I have lost many relatives from the the world wars. I hope i didnt offend too many poeple!

Reply To Post

40. by davidau
            (37 posts)

19 years ago

I dont get you guys are you talking about history or saxophone who care about USA saved france in the second world war does that mean American made better horn because American saved france? There is no such things call BETTER horn a 90 dollar china made sax can still be good if the player is good i think u are sick jim not because your language u hate everyone and you think you are better i dont know why is that but i felt sorry for you

Reply To Post

41. by davidau
            (37 posts)

19 years ago

Aussies? i lived in melbouren for 4 years and i found aussies got no brain thats why australia is great country because australian dont know how to develop their country in this country most aussies are fat and brainless disgusting

Reply To Post

42. by connsaxman_jim
            (2336 posts)

19 years ago

davidau, If I hated everyone as you said, I wouldn't spend so much time with this sight responding to people's comments and answering their questions. I don't hate anyone, in fact I generally like people....even the French and homosexuals. My earlier comments may have been a little out of line. But I love America, and my vintage American saxophones, and sometimes my passion boils over. But, if you ask an intelligent question, I just might have an answer.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

43. by connsaxman_jim
            (2336 posts)

19 years ago

David, do they teach English in Australia or wherever it is that you're from? I would suggest taking a class!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

44. by davidau
            (37 posts)

19 years ago

I felt sorry for you jim sucker

Reply To Post

45. by connsaxman_jim
            (2336 posts)

19 years ago

You felt sorry for me davidau? Why is that? Don't feel sorry for me man! I am an accomplished musician. I have played with some of the best musicians around, like the Brian Setzer Orchestra, Huey Lewis & The News, Larry McCray & Crayfish, Gary Moore and others. I play music 2-5 nights per week. I also have a great job working for GM, and I'll have my Bachelor's degrees in Mechanical Engineering and Industrial Technology in the fall. I have 26 saxophones, none of them made in China! All are vintage Conn, King, Buescher and Selmer; and a new Keilwerth, 22 of them are in excellent condition and playable. I am a Conn saxophone collector and historian. I have a lot of other equipment also. I also collect vintage Fender guitars. I have a few Gibsons, a Moserite, and a Gretsch also; a couple Hammond organs, drums, PA equipment, recording equipment and more! I have answer several emails per day from Saxquest members. I have earned the respect of most of the people in this forum. Just read my profile! I also have a girlfriend who is loves me, who is very supportive of my music, and quite an accomplished singer and pianist also. I really don't need your pity man! Grow up!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

46. by davidau
            (37 posts)

19 years ago

LOL what is That? A Story or GEART JIM? Grow up " I have earned the respect of most of the people in this forum. Just read my profile! " LMFAO ROFL You made me laugh man

Reply To Post

47. by saxybandgeek_88
            (10 posts)

19 years ago

Hey, in response to the earlier post about the "selmer snobs" i take offense... :( I like my selmer. *sniffle* (just kidding)

Reply To Post

48. by connsaxman_jim
            (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Not EVERYONE who owns a Selmer is a snob! I happen to own 2 of them! It's just those people who have the attitude that everything else is student model, and that Selmer is the ONLY horn that really piss me off! And those are the people who think they NEED a Selmer to sound good! As if the horn makes up for their LACK of talent! But saxybandgeek, I'm sure you're not a snob! I am also quite sure that davidau is a punk, and if he ever graduates high school, he just might get lucky and find a job at a gas station or a fast food place flipping burgers (They don't let the idiots work the counter). And if he ever figures out which end of his cheap Chinese POS saxophone to blow through, he might have a chance playing in a shitty ski band or something. Hey.....Good luck with that man! Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

49. by davidau
            (37 posts)

19 years ago

I got my owned international business u nuts. jim do u always like to made up your own story to win some pity ? you are a very sad story, in fact you should realise alot people doesnt like you here, because of your attitude. go home and continues dream with your JIM's GREAT STORY OK?

Reply To Post

50. by definition
            (963 posts)

19 years ago

Davidau: shut it. Jim has alot of respect, and a great knowlwdge of horns here. He is one of the more knowledgeble posters. YOU are new here. YOU have no credibility and start knocking the more respected contributors to the site, not a smart move. Now if you need genuine help with something here, It'll be a while before anyone wants to help you because of your actions. So in short, shut it, and grow up. And Jim you do seem to go a lil far in defending yourself sometimes; cool it man. We have enough bloody idiots already, dont join them. ~Martin

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

51. by blackfrancis
            (396 posts)

19 years ago

This is "High School Sax"? Lordy, what a mess. What will our tender- eared youth think of us? A little decorum, gentlemen! If you dig the Selmer sound, I say go for it. But I will also say this: if somebody comes along with a good yankee sax from the days of yore, chances are ( talent being equal) you'll end up wondering what hit you. You owe it to yourself to check out Buescher, Conn, King and Martin before you buy that Selmer. I got a Conn 6M for 1/3 the price I just sold my Mk. VI for, and for me ( key words here) it's a way better horn. Check it out. One of the biggest mistakes of my sax playing career was to sell a 10M to get a SBA. Find out through experience what works for you! And eschew the politics.

Reply To Post

52. by barisax999
            (400 posts)

19 years ago

hey this is uncalled for. i may not agree with jim on his choice of saxes, but if he can manipulate it and make it that far in the music world, then i tip my hat to him. jim is extremely knowledgeable, and he know saxes really well, just different ones than most people. lets hear how far youve made it in the music world.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

53. by definition
            (963 posts)

19 years ago

Me? 'bout as far as Jim. I play around the midwest with a jazz/funk/blues rock group, and and as of recently in a sort of ska funk group. I also teach on the high school level.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

54. by barisax999
            (400 posts)

19 years ago

that was directed at davidau, or whatever his name is.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM