Saxophone Forum

by ormahe
(2 posts)
19 years ago

Hohner or not Hohner

Hello Some months ago I bought the vintage saxophone from 50's. ( I quess). There is name President on the bell and marking " Pure tone Trade mark" and serial number 4160. I think it's some copy of Hohner, but what and were it is made ?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by heinz
    (2 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Hohner or not Hohner

Hi, Hohner saxes were built by Keilwerth West-Germany in the 1950s. Not a bad buy. Sorry no information about serial numbers available to my knowledge.

Reply To Post

1. by ormahe
      (2 posts)

19 years ago

Hello Heinz Thanks for your message. The problem is that there is no name "Hohner" on the bell, only "President". And sax has micro tuner, which is not typical for Hohner.And what meas the "Pure tone-Trade Mark" ? Mysterious saxophone ?

Reply To Post

1. by Dave Dix
        (421 posts)

19 years ago

Micro-tuner is not typical for hohner but very typical for keilwerth.They did stencil for conn in the late 20's and 30's and literally stole the micro-tuner design. As keilwerth stencilled for hohner hence the micro-tuner.With that neck it should be a good horn to bother with that style neck as it was not used on student models Dave

Reply To Post

2. by [email protected]
      (1 post)

19 years ago

I also have a Hohner President and it does have Hohner printed on the bell. SN # 10403. It also has a high " F " sharp key which I believe means it is a pro model. I am curious as to the value of this sax, can anyone help??? It would be appreciated. Thanks. Duke.

Reply To Post