Saxophone Forum

by GEORGE22
(3 posts)
19 years ago

martin stencil help

I have, I believe, a Martin stencil marked "PREMIER AMERICAN" BUIT IN ELKHART IND. low pitch A 7679 THIS IS ALL I CAN FIND. i AM NOT A SAXAPHONE PLAYER AND WOULD APPRECIATE ANY INFO YOU CAN GIVE ME. I HAVE OWNED THIS SAX. FOR A NUMBER OF YEARS AND WAS TOLD IT MAY DATE BACK TO THE 30'S. I PLAN ON OFFERING IT FOR SALE IF IT WORTH THE EFFORT.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Dave Dix
    (421 posts)

19 years ago

Re: martin stencil help

Haven't come across that named stencil but there was hundreds of them made by all the big manufacturers. If its got a mercedes style logo over the low C key(the key on the r/h side of the lower bell curved joint) its made by conn. If the tone holes are bevelled and soldered on its a martin.Martin only used bevelled tone holes. If you post a picture someone will be able to identify it Dave

Reply To Post

1. by GEORGE22
      (3 posts)

19 years ago

www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=n0yme76.10re34zm&x=0&h=1&y=wqyex6 I hope I did this o.k. should lead to pictures. I am not a coputer whiz but am learning. the i.d for this sax is in my post. I appreciate any help as I have run out of ideas for "Premier American" The tone holes are definitely beveled and soldered. George

Reply To Post

1. by saxismyaxe
        (575 posts)

19 years ago

You do indeed have an early Martin Handcraft Stencil. These are nice horns, and yours is a fine example. lots of handcrafted workmanship went into these horns. Although Martin, and King had yet to become as popular at this early date (between 1905 and 1929 in the case of your model) as their competitors Conn and Buescher in the Saxophone market, the instruments produced by both makers were still very high quality instruments. Like Selmer, these two companies would hit their stride relatively late in sax history , but it would prove to be worth the wait. Martin Handcraft Committee II, Martin Committees, and King Zephyrs and Super 20s are some of the best horns ever made.

Reply To Post

1. by 10rsax
          (19 posts)

19 years ago

I also have a Martin stencil tenor, identical to the pic you listed, only brass. It was marked," CAPITOL, LORDON'S WASH. D.C." (only the "L" in LORDON'S was stamped backwards!) I'ts second in line for a rebuild after the 1925 SELMER NEW YORK alto (Buescher stencil ) I just found. Mike

Reply To Post

2. by Dave Dix
          (421 posts)

19 years ago

The premier american is towards the later part of the handcrafts as it features the top front F key.Nice looking horn Dave

Reply To Post

3. by GEORGE22
          (3 posts)

19 years ago

hey! thanks a bunch. More info. than I could ever find elsrwhere. Any hints on possible value. It is silver and needs a good cleaning. Nothing seems broken or bent. My daughter did play this some time back so I know it works.

Reply To Post

2. by jamesbo
        (1 post)

18 years ago

Re: elkhart sax with deer head, who made it

just wondering if anyone knows if this horn is a stencil made by martin or buescher,has elkhart on it,a deer head,i have seen one before and always wondered if it was a martin,buescher,king stencil. thanks alot,james

Reply To Post

1. by Dave Dix
          (421 posts)

18 years ago

The saxophones with the deers head is made by buescher .They bought out the elkhart company and made their secondline horns from there. Hart is another name for a deer hence the deers head Dave

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
            (2336 posts)

18 years ago

Technically, it's an angry elk, not a deer! Both Conn and Buescher made the Elkhart horns. They are one of the oldest stencils in America. The earlier models were made by Conn, and have the Mercedes style wire key guard over the "C" key. The later models are made by Buescher. Neither Martin or King made any Elkhart horns. King was based in Cleveland, Ohio. Martin, although also based in Elkhart, Indiana, made a stencil called the "Indiana". If your horn does NOT have the Mercedes emblem style keyguard, it was indeed made by Buescher and it is basically a Buescher True Tone stencil.

Reply To Post Yahoo!