Saxophone Forum

by woolyhead
(5 posts)
8 years ago

overtones and harmonics

Could someone please point me in the direction of a table showing which overtones etc are dominant for every note that a tenor sax plays

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by GFC
    (842 posts)

8 years ago

Re: overtones and harmonics

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harmonic_series_(music)

All saxophone/mouthpiece/player combinations are different with respect to which overtones are strongest and how closely matched they are with the harmonic series.  That's why some sound "bright," "dark", "focused," "spread," etc. 

Reply To Post

1. by woolyhead
      (5 posts)

8 years ago

I see. So do you mean that every note has different overtones but for all players that group of overtones is the same? I think not. You are saying that even if we keep the same actual instrument in mind each player will generate a different sequence of overtones. Yes? I understand that if we change the mouthpiece we change the overtone sequence but I'm surprised that if we keep everything the same and only change the player we get a dufferent result. Is this result due to having different mouth and throat resonances when we change players?

Reply To Post

1. by GFC
        (842 posts)

8 years ago

Yep.  The oral cavity is part of the resonance.  Change the shape pf your oral cavity during some long tones and you can hear the difference.

Reply To Post

1. by woolyhead
          (5 posts)

8 years ago

I see. That's very interesting. I'll give it several tries to see for myself but I'm sure you are right. I'm only a beginner myself. It looks as if my quest to tabulate the harmonics and overtones versus each note may be a hopeless job, in view of what you've told me. Thanks for your input, anyway.

Reply To Post