Saxophone Forum

by zoot
(21 posts)
19 years ago

Meyer Hard Rubber Tenor Mouthpiece

I'm loooking to get a new sound out of my Yamaha Pro sax, and I was wondering if a Meyer hard rubber tenor mouthpiece would be a good choice? The sound I'm looking for is sort of like a zoot Sims/ Stan Getz sound, and I need a mouthpiece that compliments the sax well. If the Meyer is a good choice, what facing should I get? Or if it isn't, then what recomendations on mouthpieces do any of you have? Thanks.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Young_sax
    (1 post)

19 years ago

Re: Meyer Hard Rubber Tenor Mouthpiece

I have a Yamaha Custom Tenor and I've tried it with a Meyer rubber 5* (JAVA 3 reeds) but I felt the sound was too stuffy. I'm currently using a metal Link 7* which has an open sound but is a little too edgy. Any input from other Yamaha Pro users would be great.

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Try an Otto Link Tone Edge hard rubber mouthpiece with a Rovner ligature.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by west
        (242 posts)

19 years ago

I can say i don't like the meyers or the ottolinks. the meyers ,to me, aren't much better than the mouthpiece that comes with the horn, and the ottolink had a sound that was just too harsh for me. I recommend the ottolink over the meyer all the same

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Otto Link harsh? I don't know what model Link you're using, but the thing I like most about the Link is that they are one of the darker-sounding metal pieces. Both my Meyer 5M metal and my Otto Link Super Tone Master are older pieces; 35 years or older. The Link just says Super tone Master, but I think it's more like the Florida model. The Link sounds better for blues, funk, R & B, classic rock and stuff like that. I also like the tone of the Rico Royal Graftonite piece for stuff like that. The Meyer is a better jazz piece.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by zoot
          (21 posts)

19 years ago

Thnaks everyone for answering. What about the Brilhart mouthpieces? They're pretty cheap, but I can't find a review anywhere. If you can recommend any other mouthpieces that would give me the sound I'm looking for, I'd appreciate that also.

Reply To Post

3. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

The older Brilhart mouthpieces were pretty good. I had an old Tonalin for my tenor, that I used for more mellow stuff until I chipped it. I bought a new Selmer Brilhart Ebolin, and it didn't work very well on my 10M. The chamber was too small. Leave it to Selmer to ruin a good mouthpiece!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

4. by definition
          (963 posts)

19 years ago

The chamber reduced in size before Selmer bought out the company

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

5. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

No, Definition. Selmer bought out Brilhart in 1966, and that is around the time their mouthpieces started going to SHIT!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

6. by west
          (242 posts)

19 years ago

Connsaxmanjim-----I tried the ottolink for the soprano sax and the sound was harsh, and by harsh I mean harsher than my selmer D.

Reply To Post

7. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

What Otto Link West? a Tone Edge? I definately wouldn't try a metal piece on a soprano. I've never tried a Link on a soprano. I have a Meyer hard rubber piece, and the stock piece that I use. My Series III soprano is going bye bye today! I'm getting a Buescher tenor and a few extra goodies in trade!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

8. by west
          (242 posts)

19 years ago

Is the Beuscher tenor a new or vintage one?

Reply To Post

9. by definition
          (963 posts)

19 years ago

They went through a slight change in chamber size mid 50s as my research has shown in years past. Selmer killed it with some other factor

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

10. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

The Buescher is a 1949 actually. I have it right here in front of me. It's in perfect condition. It looks like new! All the pads are in great shape, and it roars! I'm going to take it to my gig later.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

11. by definition
          (963 posts)

19 years ago

Jim, you're startin to make me jealous. Start sending me horns or else!!!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

12. by KCSaxGal
          (46 posts)

19 years ago

I'm using an Otto Link NY metal mp with an Oleg Olegature. I like it alot. I have the YTS-62II, in silver.

Reply To Post

13. by KCSaxGal
          (46 posts)

19 years ago

I'm using an Otto Link NY metal mp with an Oleg Olegature. I like it alot. I have the YTS-62II, in silver.

Reply To Post

14. by KCSaxGal
          (46 posts)

19 years ago

Reply To Post

15. by KCSaxGal
          (46 posts)

19 years ago

I got an error message when i tried to post so I tried again... sorry for the duplicate posts

Reply To Post

2. by sharp5
        (4 posts)

19 years ago

I use a Ponzol custom on my 82Z unlacq-ed tenor. It's his metal clone in hard rubber. It's a versital piece that I use for the jazz gigs and the rock gigs.

Reply To Post