Saxophone Forum

by k-factor
(5 posts)
19 years ago

F. E. Olds Alto Sax

I actually bought an F. E. Olds NA63J PRO model, Series 2000 Alto Sax... and LOVE IT... has anyone else out there tried it and liked it? (actually says "Made in USA"... must be at least 51% US)

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by k-factor
    (5 posts)

19 years ago

Re: F. E. Olds Alto Sax

My mistake! I contacted F.E.Olds corporate rep and my NA63J Model Sax is in fact MADE IN TAIWAN. Their OLDS USA logo is misleading. However, I still love the Sax and my repair tech said it looked like it was on par with the better made Taiwan offerings from Conn-Selmer, etc. Anyone else play one?

Reply To Post

1. by NewSax
      (8 posts)

18 years ago

We recently acquired a new F.E. Olds soprano model NA60M1-1 Intermediate level horn. It also was made in Taiwan, but must me from one of the best mfg. as it is excellent. Just curious about other experience with current F.E. Olds offerings, as we are also considering a new alto from them. Seems like they go from student to intermediate and maybe even entry level pro-line. I'm curious if anyone technician has worked on either a soprano or alto and if so what models? Feedback is appreciated as it is an resurected brand name without much review and comment that can be found. I'm curious is they have any links/linage to LA Sax products? Thanks for the feedback!

Reply To Post

1. by cyburbs
        (1 post)

18 years ago

I recently picked up a used NA63J Olds Pro Alto model, but not the stainless resonator model. Its heavy, well made, sounds just like a Selmer SA-80. The key work is excellent. The finish is average. It needs nothing, but with top of the line pads, a better neck, it could easily pass for a pro sax. It has the sound quality. I think every pro should own one. Why would you want to take a top of the line sax to a questionable area to perform. If your Olds was ripped off or damaged, you would not be devasted, just upset. I think its a great back up horn. I spent a few hours researching every post in every language about these horns, and the former owner of L.A. Sax, who sold the business two years ago is now in charge of producing the latest models which are even better with high copper content. I guess resurecting a vintage product name is no infringement on his old brand. The Taiwanese can produce very high quality horns if they are given cost is no object metal, and the best machine tools. It also helps to make exact copies of Paris Selmers. Almost as good is usually good enough if the price is right.

Reply To Post

2. by mattp169
      (1 post)

17 years ago

Hi everyone I have read the posts here about the F.E. Olds Jazz saxes. I am one of the few exclusive dealers in the country to sell these saxes. I am also a repair tech and sax player. These maybe from Taiwan but so what. IMHO they are better then anything Yamaha, Keilworth, or Selmer or Selmer Paris is putting out today. The rose brass gives it a warm sound that you just can't get out of yellow brass. If you add the optional Sterling Silver neck the tone becomes so sweet you just can't compare the sound to most of the saxes on the market today. The construction of these saxes is comparable if not superior to any other leading manufacturer. The parts are all top of the line. There are NO shortcuts taken on these saxes. They are in every way shape and form equivalent in quality to a Super Action 80 II or Yamaha Custom. Plus in addition to that, Everyone of these I see new is just like the last. The factory does not make glaring mistakes like Yamaha and Selmer Paris do. I have seen brand new factory sealed Selmers that have a 1/2 inch gap between key post and the key rod. F.E. olds saxes never have a problem like that. Granted they aren't making as many of these saxes as Selmer Paris does, but F.E. olds isn't relying on its Brand name to sell a product like Selmer does. F.E. Olds actually relies on quality to sell its products. If you want a top of the line sax without the top of the line price tag get an F.E. olds now before the entire world finds out how good they are and the F.E. Olds brand name gets as big as Selmer or Yamaha. Because with a big brand name comes a big price tag.

Reply To Post

1. by Christian Anderson
        (73 posts)

17 years ago

how about the olds Parisian ambassador? I bought one for $40 the other day, are they any good? I only bought it for the selmer soloist that came with it, but if it has any value it would be nice to know. the sax is in good shape, but needs a repad, worth the money??? i would prob just sell it anyways....

Reply To Post

3. by edward.biged
      (2 posts)

8 years ago

I know this post is 10 years old, but how did you end up liking your sax?

I have had an Olds NA62MN for a long time and love the sound, along with a good reed/mouthpiece combination (I have a Beechler that goes good with Vandoren Javas and another one I forget the brand of that works good with Rigotti Golds).

I just went back to try to figure out some altissimo fingerings and got so far a alt G and G#.

It is made in R.O.C.

I wonder about those saxes I see on ebay for only like $250, has anyone tried any of those?

Reply To Post