Saxophone Forum

by someguy
(80 posts)
19 years ago

Old Sax and Mouthpiece

I went in my closet and saw a old sax that was given to me about 3 yrs ago. It is a Werlitzer American. On the bell it says The Rudolph Werlitzer Co. USA, @ the thumb rest it says low pitch, 91827. The mouthpiece in the case says, "the Buescher Elkhart, IND. " with a C, below that. Saxismyaxe, connsaxman_jim, anyone else, what it this? Any info will help. Thanks, J.O.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by sax_maniac
    (984 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Old Sax and Mouthpiece

If the C is on the saxophone, you've got a C-Melody saxophone. C-Melodys are mildly collectable and can be decent players, though their intonation tends to be finicky. The most revered C-Melody saxophones are the Conn straight-neck version, though others can be good players as well. A picture would help.

Reply To Post

1. by saxismyaxe
      (575 posts)

19 years ago

Sax_Maniac is correct with the above information. The only thing I have to add, with the info you have provided, is that most Wurlitzers were made by Conn and Buescher. I have several Conn Stencil Wurlitzer C-Melodies, all Silver plate with VERY elaborate hand engraving. I find some of the Wurlitzer model horns to be some of the best stencil horns that both Conn and Buescher ever produced. Hang on to it: The C-melody is making a come back in popularity among Saxophone enthusiasts and collectors of late, and when an appropriate mouthpiece/setup is used, they can be quite fun to play. They also make a great first time repad and overhaul project horn for the would be sax tech. Mike.

Reply To Post

1. by someguy
        (80 posts)

19 years ago

Thats good info. I actually was thinking of repadding that horn myself. I will start checking into that. Where is a good starting point?

Reply To Post

1. by saxismyaxe
          (575 posts)

19 years ago

Sure thing, first of all: get a free catalog from Ferree's tools at www.ferreestools.com , and check out www.musicmedic.com for sax pads, tools and supplies. Then take a look at the Sax on the Web site, and look for the Paul Coats article on replacing pads. This is a good starting point. If you decide to delve into this, send me an email, and I'll walk you through the finer points. Cheers. Mike.

Reply To Post