Saxophone Forum

by zoot
(21 posts)
19 years ago

Claude Lakey Mouthpiece for Jazz?

I'm loooking to get a new sound out of my Yamaha Pro sax, and I was wondering if a Claude Lakey hard rubber tenor mouthpiece would be a good choice? The sound I'm looking for is sort of like a zoot Sims/ Stan Getz sound, and I need a mouthpiece that compliments the sax well. If the Lakey is a good choice, what facing should I get? Or if it isn't, then what recomendations on mouthpieces do any of you have? Thanks.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by blackfrancis
    (396 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Claude Lakey Mouthpiece for Jazz?

I got a new Lakey for my alto recently (had an old one- I was very fond of it but it disappeared). It was OK on my mk. VI but on my Conn 6M it would burn the hair off the audience to 50 paces. High baffle and small chamber...that's what it'll do. After lots of mods, its a really great piece. For a "Zooty" tone, maybe a Meyer, Gregory, (an old Lakey, of course) or if you're on a budget, a Rico Graftonite - a cool cheap alternative. Go to a music store where you can try some different brands and facings if you can. It's worth paying more to find exactly what you're looking for. Take along some reeds of various strength, keeping in mind a more open tip takes a softer reed.

Reply To Post

1. by blackfrancis
      (396 posts)

19 years ago

I forgot to add 2 things: you can call Claude Lakey- the phone number is on their website- and they will be happy to answer any questions you have. Also, be sure to have FUN shopping for this kind of thing! Like a kid in a candy store!

Reply To Post

1. by Tully
        (49 posts)

19 years ago

For what it's worth, I've heard about some quality-control issues with new Lakeys.

Reply To Post AIM