Saxophone Forum

by cynot
(21 posts)
19 years ago

Higher notes

Hey guys. I just had my third sax lesson, but I have a couple of problems. I can get the low notes just fine, but my teacher said my high notes are too flat. He says sometimes they sound like they're half a step down. Also, on certain notes I get this like vibrating growl thing going on, my teacher tried my horn and he got that weird sound too a little bit (not as much as I did.) Almost sounded like the octave key was vibrating open (but it wasn't.) I could really use some help on these problems. I have no clue why I can't get the higher notes. I have the low notes down, but whenever I try to crescendo them louder I start to lose them too. My teacher said I'm "sub-toning" everything.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxismyaxe
    (575 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Higher notes

Your embouchure is weak, it's as simple as that. Nothing to worry about, as a new player, this is to be expected. Everyone starts out this way. The number of subtle changes going on within a Saxophonist diaphragm, lungs, throat, mouth, lips, and total airsupport/flow is as great if not greater than that of an Opera singer. Once you start to get some sort of handle on your breathing , air support and embouchure development (and this will take time, and PRACTICE) you'll find that the upper range on into the altissimo is assisted by breathsupport and shaping the back of your throat, NOT changing your embouchure or biting. But altissimo will come later on. Get the book ART OF THE SAXOPHONE by Larry Teal. This book discusses at length much of what you need to know, and has some exercises you can use to develop the muscles used in forming a proper embouchure. Keep it up, and you'll get the hang of it.

Reply To Post

1. by cynot
      (21 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks alot, that was very informative. I'll keep that in mind-any idea about the weird vibrating growl sound coming from my horn? It hasn't done it as much lately.

Reply To Post

1. by saxismyaxe
        (575 posts)

19 years ago

Have someone who is competent in Sax repairs take a look at your horn. There is a whole list of things that can cause this problem, however very often wolfing, or growling sounds can be an indication of a malfunctioning octave mechanism, and leaks. Make sure that your mouthpiece is pushed far enough up the cork portion of the neck (but not too far, or you will distort the pitch/intonation of the horn), as having it too far out can also cause some very interesting anomalies too. Make sure your mouthpiece fits snugly on the cork, with no leaks. Also, take care to position your reed squarely on the mouthpiece table, and experiment with the placement of the ligature. All of these can present similar problems, and one of them may be the source.

Reply To Post

1. by west
          (242 posts)

19 years ago

I've been playing for 5 years and I have the growling problem with my high G. I can get it to where the growl almost goes away completely, but then it's a harsh attack. The thing is that I know mine is not a mechanical problem, it's just when I don't feel like practicing or playing that I get that grrr.

Reply To Post