Saxophone Forum

by Chiquita
(3 posts)
9 years ago

Victory vs. Schill

Ok- I know you guys are going to go crazy over this because these two brands are both not that great. But I still need to compare them. I'm a college student with extremely limited funds, and I'm looking to buy a tenor. I've played for years, but I've never owned my own tenor- so which is better between a Victory and a Schill. Or do you have any other suggestions for a sax I can get for a few hundred dollars? Thanks for any help!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

9 years ago

Re: Victory vs. Schill

Don't waste your money on either one. They're toys, not real horns. Just shop around for a nice used sax. There's a few out there. save some money. Don't buy something that you're going to end up throwing away in a year or 2 because its broken and no tech with fix it. Just look around for a Conn 16M or a later Buescher 400 or a Bundy, something you can buy pretty cheap. check your local pawn shops and second hand thrift stores and stuff.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by saxismyaxe
      (574 posts)

9 years ago

Another source for vintage saxophones at cheap prices is www.shopgoodwill.com. They have had a number of good horns for auction lately, going for bargain basement prices. Keep a watch on this site, as new listings turn up there on a daily basis.

Reply To Post

1. by phathorn
        (165 posts)

9 years ago

the early model Signets are nice too. They are basically a hodgepodge of buescher 200 and 400 parts and for many years, was selmer's offering below the vaunted MkVI

Reply To Post

1. by Alreed66
          (8 posts)

6 years ago

The Victory Brand is to be avoided. I won one of their sopranos on an ebay auction 2 years ago and won it for $99. The soprano showed up and I don't know if they were angry at me because I won the auction at such a cheap price, but they had placed the sax/case in the carton with no insulation/bubble wrap/popcorn/nothing. Surprisingly, the sax showed up with no damage. The case has no name brand on it. The brand is suppose to be Victory. When I opened up the case, there was a brand new shiny soprano, still in the factory packaging alright. I removed the packaging and there was the usual Selmer copy, however what was sent to me had no brand on it and no serial number. There was another issue. The necks had to be re-corked because they were too thin for my mouthpiece. The instrument plays ok, not like a Yamaha or Yani, but it plays. I don't play it too often. It isn't as wide open as one of the good name brands. Basically, when the thing breaks or gives out, it is essentially junk.

Reply To Post