Saxophone Forum

by macsmits
(3 posts)
19 years ago

Julius Keilwerth KING Modell 3

I've recently bought an old tenorsax just for wall-decoration. When I had a closer look, I found out that it is probably a vintage Julius Keilwerth, with the name KING on the bell. It has a very low serialnumber 9xxx, and below that 'Modell 3' is engraved. It also has rolled toneholes! Does anybody have any further information for me, about this sax? Does some has a sax likewise? I'm very certain that it isn't a NewKing or ToneKing.. I've compared them with mine.. Looking forward to receive much new information, Mac

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Dave Dix
    (421 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Julius Keilwerth KING Modell 3

New king ,tone king and king tempo were all keilwerth stencils for king.Kohlhert, sml and evette also made stencils for king., Have a look at www.saxpics.com and they may have your horn there. Dave

Reply To Post

1. by macsmits
      (3 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks for your reply! I'd already searched the saxpics.com site. The only thing noted there about the J.Keilwerth King is, that it's a early horn. The photos showed after clicking the hyperlink don't look the way my sax does. - the engravings are very different... mine are not that curly, they only say 'KING' in a bold font. - the low B- and Bflat-buttons are on the different side of the bell I don't know, this is caused by the difference alto-sax vs. tenorsax. To emphasize, the sax I've bought is a tenor sax! I'm getting more and more curious... wether the sax will be worth revision..? It isn't playable right now... Looking forward to getting more info Mac

Reply To Post

1. by Dave Dix
        (421 posts)

19 years ago

If the low B and Bb are on opposite sides then you do have an early horn.Pre 1930 or so. if you have the top front F key it will be after around 1925 if not before 1925. A picture would help Dave

Reply To Post

1. by macsmits
          (3 posts)

19 years ago

Sorry Dave, I didn't formulate my sentences very well. All the saxes on the pictures @ saxpics.com have the low B and Bb on the opposite sites. My horn hasn't! I don't know what you mean with the top front F-key, could you explain a bit more..? I also compared all the visuals of the KING stencils with my horn, and I didn't found much comparision. On the other hand, mine does look a lot like this TONEKING alto: www.saxpics.com/the_gallery/Keilwerth/toneking/alto/silver/18253/i-1.jpg --> But then the engraving (KING) doesn't support the actual type, and the age doesn't match the serial!! Because in a outline of Keilwerth Serial Numbers I found out, that this sax will be around 1935. But unfortunately I still haven't found any more information about it. I'm sure it is JK and not an Amati, because of the microturner screw and the Keilwerth serial! Tomorrow, I will add a visual of my sax.. to make description more clear!!

Reply To Post