Saxophone Forum

by 1saxmom
(4 posts)
19 years ago

Please help! Tell me about this sax!

An old York tenor sax was given to my son. It sounds OK. Can someone please tell me about this brand? It has a serial number that begins with 7. Does that mean anything? Thanks!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Dave Dix
    (421 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Please help! Tell me about this sax!

We need the full serial number and a picture to be more positive about york. 70,000 WAS AROUND 1922 AND 80,000 AROUND 1926. Dave

Reply To Post

1. by 1saxmom
      (4 posts)

19 years ago

The only number on the sax is 7442. I can't get a picture right now, but it appears to be in decent shape. "York Artist" is engraved on it. Does this help?

Reply To Post

1. by Dave Dix
        (421 posts)

19 years ago

If it was made by york band instrument co (grand rapids michigan)its a very early horn. 1900 -1903. Also buescher and conn use to stencil saxophones for york so the serial number will be useless as stencil horns do not have a date list for the numbers.The name rings a bell but i cant be sure it could be a conn stencil as yorks had michigan engraved on them. Dave

Reply To Post

1. by 1saxmom
          (4 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks for the information. Is there anything else we could get from the horn that would be helpful? When I dropped it off at the music school, a piano teacher looked at it and mentioned to the owner he thought Conn made York horns. We don't know much about saxes. My son just likes to play. Can you suggest a good resource with information about saxes including history, brands, parts, etc. that will help us both become more informed? I'm a little lost when you speak of who stenciled what. Thanks so much again for your help!

Reply To Post

2. by Dave Dix
          (421 posts)

19 years ago

If its conn made the lower C key guard should look like the mercedes car logo instead of just the standard T shaped guard(losest guard on the saxophone) but this way is not infallible but all conn (except soprano's) saxophones have this logo and most of their stencils Dave

Reply To Post