Re: Fxin' up an old C-melody case!!!
I tried to rebuild an alto case one time, and it turned out ok. I used it for a while, but eventually I ended up just buying another case. C Melody cases are a little harder to find. I'll give you a few pointers. To recover the outside I used some vinyl material I found at a material store. It was a blck simulated leather type of material. I glued it to the outside of the case with Liquid Nails construction adhesive. This glue comes in tubes like caulk, so you need a caulk gun to apply it. I ran several narrow beads of the glue across the outside of the case, and I used an empty aresol can to smooth out the material. The outside turned out pretty well. The inside wasn't so easy to repair. I used a razor knife to cut the fabric and I just ripped it out of the case; using the razor knife to cut around the edges and everything. I got all the old fabric out ok. I got some thin foam rubber, which I wanted to use in the bottom of the case to cushion the horn. I used a velvet-like fabric to cover the inside of the case, and I wrapped the inserts in the same velvet-like material. Getting the material to stick to the inside of the case was a pain in the ass! I used the construction adhesive to glue down the foam rubber, and it seemed to hold ok, but the fabric didn't stick very well at all. I ended up getting glue all over the fabric and cut another piece. This time I used double sided stick tape to hold the fabric to the bottom and sides of the case. It actually worked pretty well. I had a little better luck with the top. The case had a cushion in the top that was in decent shape, so I wrapped it in the velvet and glued it back in place with the construction adhesive. I used the construction adhesive to glue the fabric on the sides. Then I put the inserts in the case (The little box that holds you accessories and the piece that fits around the bell and forms the neck pocket. This case was for an old Conn New Wonder, so it's identical to your C Melody case only just a tad smaller. I used trimhead screws to re-attach the inserts. I replaced the handle with a strap handle I bought at a hardware store. I replaced the hinges and clasps with some brass ones I bought at a hardware store. I rivited the handle, hinges and clasps with pop-rivits. Just be careful with the glue because it can sure make a mess! I wouldn't recommend staples.
Good luck! If all else fails, maybe you can find a soft case for either an alto or tenor that will fit it. I really don't care much for soft cases, but maybe you can find an alto case that's just oversized enough that it will fit.