Saxophone Forum

by MD1032
(6 posts)
19 years ago

Need a good bari mouthpiece

Hello, I have a mouthpiece inquiry. I have a Selmer (america) bari sax that isn't quite running up to specs right now but for the moment I'd like to deal with mouthpieces. I play bari sax in a blues band with my friends. We play jazz and blues-type stuff, calling ourselves "The Joliets", based on the bluew brothers. So that's basically what we play. Anyway, I currently have on hand two S80's, one is a C** and one is a D. The C** is unfortunately chipped on the corner of the tip, giving it a buzzy sound. At the moment I prefer the D. It sounds a lot better and performs better in the lower registers for some reason, however, I am wondering what the best facing for my application would be? I basically just need excellent, deep, low-end response with good tone, not much else. If you have any alternate recommendations, I'll take any help! Thanks.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
    (767 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Need a good bari mouthpiece

Sounds like that D works for you. Really, tip opening is a feature of comfort more that of tone or technique. Some say more open gives you greater flexibility and volume, some say playing closed gives you better pitch stability and control. These things are probably true, but not to the extent that a good player will be hindered by it. If you are looking to change your sound, you'd probably fiddle around with reeds or different mouthpiece designs.

Reply To Post

1. by MD1032
      (6 posts)

19 years ago

Well is the D more or less open than the C**? I'm actually a clarinet player and use a Vandoren B45, one of Vandoren's most open mouhtpieces for that application, so I definitely like open (I've tried 5 other vandoren mouthpieces such as the 5RV and still like the B45 the best). Still, maybe it's different for bari.

Reply To Post

1. by definition
        (963 posts)

19 years ago

The D is more open than the C** I suggest you try a Meyer mouthpiece and see does that get what you want

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Buy a $22 Rico Royal graftonite mouthpiece. They blow that Selmer away, for about 1/5 the cost! I have Rico Graftonites for tenor, alto, baritone, and soprano. You just can't beat them for the price! My King Zephyr Bari really sounds great with this mouthpiece!

Reply To Post Yahoo!