Saxophone Forum

by Nele
(6 posts)
19 years ago

Bach Cello Suites

I'm currently working on the first three 'cello suites on tenor sax. I'm glad to see from this website (I'm new) that I'm not the only one with this idea - most people I've spoken to think I'm totally mad for even attempting it on saxophone. I'm looking for sax recordings of the suites, preferably a CD with just the suites on it and an added bonus would be if they were on tenor. Any ideas? Thanks

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by mojocoggo
    (97 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Bach Cello Suites

Check out Todd Oxfords website for a sound clip. He has a clip of the first cello suite, but he played it on baritone sax... Still sounds nice though. www.toddoxford.com/audio.html

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by west
      (242 posts)

19 years ago

I loved the third song

Reply To Post

2. by johnsonfromwisconsin
      (767 posts)

19 years ago

------------------------------------------------ Check out Todd Oxfords website for a sound clip. He has a clip of the first cello suite, but he played it on baritone sax... Still sounds nice though. www.toddoxford.com/audio.html ------------------------------------------------ Quite. Todd Oxford is one of my favorite players. The baritone is an especially good choice for those sonatas since it's range matches the bottom of the Cello's (C2) and it has a lot of the same tonal tendencies in the hands of the right player. Playing the sonatas on Tenor works rather well I find, though it'll be in a different key, though there is no other way to fit in in the normal range of the saxophone.

Reply To Post

1. by Nele
        (6 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks! I've ordered Todd Oxford's CD. The sound clip sounded amazing, I hope to get my hand on a bari very to try out the suites for myself! I had heard that a Japanese player had recorded them but I'm finding it difficult to read their websites!

Reply To Post